Thread: HELP! =)

Sheryl Davidson Guest

Default HELP! =)

Hey guys! I had this water heater in a home I looked at this weekend and I not sure about the age, although I am for sure it is OLD! It is a Rheem Fury and on the plate, the serial number starts with 0562. Does that mean May 1962? Or were the numbers done differently then as compared to today? Thanks!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: HELP! =)

I would say that dates back to the early to mid 1980's based on the design. Looking at the data plate I would put the date at 1987, if I'm reading it right.

I don't bother with dates all that much, I use it for my information only and I do not report it. If I can tell a unit is old or if it needs attention, as this unit does I report it as such.

IMO, if a WH is over 10-12 years of age it has lived a good life and replacement will be soon.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Michael Larson Guest

May of '62 as best I can tell. Haven't seen stamped metal plate on a water heater for a very long time.

How about the lack of a drip/dirt leg on the gas line?

Where is the TPR and associated piping?

Notice a missing access door as well.

Sheryl Davidson Guest

Yeah, I noticed all the problems with it. Here is a picture of what I think may be the relief valve, which I have not seen before. Can someone clarify this? The potential homeowner has already said she wants to have it replaced ASAP. I just wanted to make sure I write the correct age on my report so that I don't look like a ding dong with the plate picture. Thanks!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Sheryl Davidson; 12-03-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to add photo

Michael Larson Guest

that's an adjustable pressure relief valve but cant tell if it responds to temp as well. Either way it's wrong.

The water is heater is well past it's average design life and needs to be replaced by a qualified plumber.

James Duffin Guest

It appears that the relief valve is mounted on the water heater outlet. If the relief valve has a long temperature stem on it and the BTU rating is correct then the setup is most likely OK. The stem length should be on the relief valve tag. If the heater is piped properly and is working properly it does not need to be replaced until it fails. I would advise the client that it is past it's normal expected life but is not in need of immediate repair.

Michael Larson Guest

When it;s that old I tell my client to budget for replacement. To put any money into this installation would be a waste. IMHO.

Sheryl Davidson Guest

Thanks guys! The homeowner is wanting to change over to electric so she is already making plans to change it out. I couldn't believe how well the water heater was working when I inspected. It makes you wonder why products these days can't be made this well.

I'm also going to go with May of 1962.

I think those metal labels went out in the 60s or 70s.

Also, the T&P looks to date back to then.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com