Ron Bishop Guest

Default Improper flahing method?

Is this an improper flashing technique?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Cool Re: Improper flahing method?

What flashing?

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: Improper flahing method?

Looks like step flashing with those pre-formed aluminum "L"s to me. (I think I see the vertical lines where they overlap).

If the slope on that roof is in fact as low as it appears in that picture, it's not going to work well - irrespective of whether they should be on installed top of the material behind the trim band (as it appears to me has been done) instead of under it.

Thumbs down Re: Improper flahing method?

The flashing from what I can see in the picture are to uniform. Each piece of step flashing should be on top of each shingle. It looks as if the step flashing was put in place and the shingles layed over them.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Default Re: Improper flahing method?

The base flashing looks fine. They are called 'baby shingles' in the roofing vernacular. It's the counter flashing (1" x 4") that looks like a problem. The counter flashing in this case is not waterproof. The top edge of the 1" x 4" board will allow moisture to become trapped between itself and the wood siding behind it. A corrosion resistant metal counter flashing would be correct.

Thumbs down Re: Improper flahing method?

The base flashing looks fine. They are called 'baby shingles' in the roofing vernacular.
    In 30 years of roofing that is the first time I ever heard of "baby shingles" ?

No the base flashing "which it is called step flashing on the east coast" from that picture doe's not look fine.

The 1x4 is not a "counter flashing". The siding may very well terminate close to the roof covering and over the step flashing and the 1x4 trim board was placed over it. We can't tell from that picture. The shingles could be a over lay or when the old shingles where removed they just went right over the flashings instead of between each piece of flashing.
    It is also possible that the bottom edge of the siding had some water damage so they put the 1x4 over it to cover it.

If you have more pictures please post, further away would be best.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com