Thread: Air intake

Default Air intake

I know it is not desirable to draw inside air to this condensing gas air furnace, but is it a code violation? How about the gas water heater next to it? It is in a basement room of a raised ranch. I am going to recommend that they rework the venting to draw outside air, which would remedy any problem with the gas fires water heater.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Air intake

Does the mechanical room or closet have sufficient combustion air? If so, no need to vent to exterior.

The utility room was quite large and no door was in place.

The water heater vent connector needs to enter the furnace vent connector in the direction of the flow of the flue gases; not with a T. The CSST cannot enter the furnace cabinet.

Nice TPR discharge extension.

Peak Inspection Services | Over 34 Years of Contractor Experience!
    Residential Inspections | Commercial Inspections
    Office: 908-750-6789 | www.peakinspectionservices.com

Large source of combustion air...then its OK! Since the question was about combustion air, I didn't bother to try to find everything else in the photos (I think that is kind of a waste of time).

No prohibition in the gas code. It is a poor practice from an energy standpoint. The intake should be protected such as with a candy cane to prevent entry of foreign matter. The WH is a mess. Flexible appliance connector appears greater than 3ft and can't see if there's a sediment trap before the appliance. Illegal discharge on TPR. Cannot make out that middle pic showing venting as all blurry-any more pics? WH should be in a pan to drainage or wet alarm. Orphaned WH probably needs a liner.

Recommend intake drawn from outside then combustion analysis on furnace and WH.

Check sizing on gas piping and support. Also, good luck working on that coil with that pipe in the way. No sediment trap on CSST, which would take care of the need for a grommet passing through the cabinet wall. Don't see CSST bonding.

Target rich environment.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.