Default Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust

Long time no post. I'm not inspecting anymore due to health problems. Just posting this in case inspectors want to provide this kind of info to their clients.

My wife and I purchased an older home recently that had vermiculite insulation in the attic. Since it was covering knob and tube wiring and we couldn't find an electrician who would work on the wiring until the insulation was removed, we decided to remove it.

Our realtor told us about the Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust, http://www.zonoliteatticinsulation.com/ which reimburses people who can prove that the insulation they have is in fact Zonolite.

I was quite surprised to discover that neither the company that removed the insulation, nor the company that re-insulated the attic were aware of this Trust, given that its existence is good for business for both of them.

As an aside, the cost to remove the insulation was much, much less than I had anticipated. The attic is about 1200 sq ft and the cost to remove was about $5,000. This is in Rhode Island.

Long story short, we eventually received a check from the Trust for $4,125.00.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust

Sorry to hear health is restricting you. Catches up to us all at some time.

Thanks for the info. sure it will benefit many.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Long time no post. I'm not inspecting anymore due to health problems. Just posting this in case inspectors want to provide this kind of info to their clients.

My wife and I purchased an older home recently that had vermiculite insulation in the attic. Since it was covering knob and tube wiring and we couldn't find an electrician who would work on the wiring until the insulation was removed, we decided to remove it.

Our realtor told us about the Zonolite Attic Insulation Trust, http://www.zonoliteatticinsulation.com/ which reimburses people who can prove that the insulation they have is in fact Zonolite.

I was quite surprised to discover that neither the company that removed the insulation, nor the company that re-insulated the attic were aware of this Trust, given that its existence is good for business for both of them.

As an aside, the cost to remove the insulation was much, much less than I had anticipated. The attic is about 1200 sq ft and the cost to remove was about $5,000. This is in Rhode Island.

Long story short, we eventually received a check from the Trust for $4,125.00.
    John, my prayers are with you and your family. God speed for/with a rapid full recovery.

A Trust is in place now. Up to $7,500.00 can be paid out to homeowners with Zonolite through the trust after W.R. GRACE emerged from bankruptcy. Zonolite Trust

I am a home inspector that tries to keep my ear to the ground and inform clients about rebates and class actions suits.
    There is another party involved in the transaction that unfortunately says, "I scare" new home buyers as he and the partner manhandle home inspectors gleaming information for the vendor all while kicking the can one last time selling, selling selling...
    Too bad. So sad.
    They get little from me and I push back just as hard when I have had enough.

I am in Quebec, Canada. I have heard from a reliable source there is a caveat. You need verification it is Zonolite.
    John, could you please share a bit of what was required by you to receive compensation. I am sure you will help many!
    Much thanks.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

The Trust sends a kit for obtaining a sample of the insulation to be sent back to them for analysis. They are not looking for asbestos. This is hard to get through to people. They are only trying to determine if the material is in fact Zonolite.

They ask for photos of the attic before the insulation is removed, and, if applicable, after the attic is re-insulated. And contact information for the companies that did the work.

They ask for photos of Zonolite bags left behind. I had one in my attic. See attached.

zonolite bag resized_IN.jpg

That's about it. I found the contact person at the Trust to be very helpful and responsive.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

The Trust sends a kit for obtaining a sample of the insulation to be sent back to them for analysis. They are not looking for asbestos. This is hard to get through to people. They are only trying to determine if the material is in fact Zonolite.

They ask for photos of the attic before the insulation is removed, and, if applicable, after the attic is re-insulated. And contact information for the companies that did the work.

They ask for photos of Zonolite bags left behind. I had one in my attic. See attached.

zonolite bag resized_IN.jpg

That's about it. I found the contact person at the Trust to be very helpful and responsive.
    Thank you John. You're the king mate!!!!

Best information I have received to date on W.R. Grace vermiculite remediation assistance.
    Much thanks.

Procuring samples following a set sample protocol just makes sense.
    I often wondered, W.R. Grace must have reams of archived sample data collected by RD. They can easily discover their product through sampling. What's with all the caveats?

I can personally only equate the rules put in place to allow them a chance to emerge from bankruptcy helped the poor real estate consumers stuck with vermiculite in their attics and wall spaces.
    Too bad, so sad any Federal, state or provincial governments should steeped and done more long ago. They approved the material.

John, again my p
    rayers are with you and your loving family.
    God speed for/with a rapid full recovery.
    Thank you, and with the best of regards.
    Robert Young

Long time no post.
    PS: Jon, Please don't be a stranger and post more often. Think of it as therapy. Bet you have much to offer others!

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Great information John. I hope Rhode Island treats you and your wife well.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey