Default panel & hose connection

does anyone know if a hose bib is allowed next to the main service panel?
    I know it is a bad idea but is it allowed?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Default Re: panel & hose connection

Not only is it a stupid idea ... but they installed the hose bibb in an electrical box (certainly looks like an electrical box).

That electrical box is not listed for that use.

It also leaves the bottom of the box open where the bottom was cut out for the hose bibb.

But it is allowed to be there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not only is it a stupid idea ... but they installed the hose bibb in an electrical box (certainly looks like an electrical box).

That electrical box is not listed for that use.

It also leaves the bottom of the box open where the bottom was cut out for the hose bibb.

But it is allowed to be there.
    Thanks Jerry, My gut told me that it would not be addressed in the code but as far a dumb ideas it is a BIG one

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Not a particularly good idea, but I'm not sure why a hose bib next to a weatherproof electrical housing should ruffle too many feathers.

It's pretty obvious the electrical installation is newer than the plumbing and was probably installed as part of an upgrade to the existing electrical system. Often times placement of this kind of upgrade are a bit tough and how it's done can depend on an owner's bank account.

Of greater interest is if the prior existing, now non service equipment (that there is a sub panel to all but a few folks), had a new 4 wire feeder installed or if a bare neutral with no ground is being used.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

I think that is a siding trim box.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Looks like a siding trim box to me as well. I'm not fully on board for it being a "stupid idea". The electrical box is designed to be in the weather, exposed to wind, rain, snow, etc. The hose faucet is not going to run into the box, so where is the hazard?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    I think that is a siding trim box.
    I concur, but it is the wrong type of siding attachment and missing the flange & J or cap trim.
    There is usually two parts to vinyl siding trim detail. The inner portion, a flange and box, combined with the other covering that flashes the inner component and prevents weather infiltration once the siding has been installed.
    Below would be for a hose bib.
    hose bib siding trim.JPG

Metal siding installers bend components or use to back in the day.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 06-30-2016 at 08:47 PM.
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Looks like a siding trim box to me as well. I'm not fully on board for it being a "stupid idea". The electrical box is designed to be in the weather, exposed to wind, rain, snow, etc. The hose faucet is not going to run into the box, so where is the hazard?
    I fully agree.

The whole water and electric in close proximity hysteria is taken to some silly limits at times. Bottom line is, that panel is designed to be installed where it will be in direct driving rain and wind. How is a hose bib facing down any sort of an issue?

More of an issue is when the house washers come and pressure wash the vinyl siding.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    I fully agree.

The whole water and electric in close proximity hysteria is taken to some silly limits at times. Bottom line is, that panel is designed to be installed where it will be in direct driving rain and wind. How is a hose bib facing down any sort of an issue?

More of an issue is when the house washers come and pressure wash the vinyl siding.
    Sure, go ahead and bring common sense into this. Troublemaker.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.