Default Service wires overhang roof

Inspected house today that was built in 1963. The issue I have is the service wires overhanging roof with only a 3 1/2 inch clearance from the roof surface at its lowest point. Does anyone know the code on that ?
    Emain-Heatherly 037.JPGEmain-Heatherly 036.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Service wires overhang roof

I'm not at my office with my old codes, but the current minimum height is 8 feet above that roof, and that 8 feet goes back as far as I can remember (which is not back to 1963, although I was pulling wire and replacing knob and tube for my electrical contractor Dad at that time).

Regardless of whether the 8 foot clearance was required THEN ... it is acknowledged as not being safe NOW ... and not having been safe for at least the past 30-40 years.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

8 feet.
    That roof is lowslope.
    4/12 and greater, 3' clearance if I remember correctly.

230.24 Clearances
    Service-drop conductors must be located so that they are not readily accessible, and they must comply with the following clearance requirements:
    (A) Above Roofs. Overhead service conductors must maintain a minimum clearance of 8 ft above the surface of a roof for a minimum distance of 3 ft in all directions from the edge of the roof.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    8 feet.
    That roof is lowslope.
    4/12 and greater, 3' clearance if I remember correctly.

230.24 Clearances
    Service-drop conductors must be located so that they are not readily accessible, and they must comply with the following clearance requirements:
    (A) Above Roofs. Overhead service conductors must maintain a minimum clearance of 8 ft above the surface of a roof for a minimum distance of 3 ft in all directions from the edge of the roof.
    I should have included the above too - I made a presumption of the roof slope.

There is an exception for conductors above the overhang only -18 inches minimum, 4 feet over the overhang maximum (measured horizontally), and 6 feet of conductor maximum (measured along the angle of the conductors) ... if the overhead service drop goes high quickly, it very well might exceed 6 feet of conductor length.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I should have included the above too - I made a presumption of the roof slope.
    No issue buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There is an exception for conductors above the overhang only -18 inches minimum, 4 feet over the overhang maximum (measured horizontally), and 6 feet of conductor maximum (measured along the angle of the conductors) ... if the overhead service drop goes high quickly, it very well might exceed 6 feet of conductor length.
    Thanks.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”