Thread: Post Splice

Default Post Splice

I am renovating a deck with a a covered porch. I just removed plywood cladding over this post. The two main support posts for the porch are 4x6 with another 2x6 slapped on the side. The post is made up of two six foot 4x6's butt jointed with metal straps and carriage bolts.

Is this code anywhere?

Built in 1995. Lots of other substandard practices mixed in on other work.

I plan to replace the 4x6 with a 12 foot solid post. I have seen splices in posts and beams with long half laps but never just end to end.

I am a homeowner and this is my first post. Hopefully I get the attachment right.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Post Splice

I see why they covered it all up with plywood. That might be a repair that was done, such as if termites attacked the original post and they replaced the bottom half, maybe?
    In any case it is good you are fixing that.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reilly View Post
    I am renovating a deck with a a covered porch. I just removed plywood cladding over this post. The two main support posts for the porch are 4x6 with another 2x6 slapped on the side. The post is made up of two six foot 4x6's butt jointed with metal straps and carriage bolts.

Is this code anywhere?

I plan to replace the 4x6 with a 12 foot solid post. I have seen splices in posts and beams with long half laps but never just end to end.

I am a homeowner and this is my first post. Hopefully I get the attachment right.

Thanks
    Ed,

That splice creates a hinge, even with the straps. I cannot imagine that would be acceptable anywhere. John is correct, it is good that you are replacing it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Reilly View Post
    And likely built without a permit.

You are right to replace it with a solid single piece post from the footing to the roof (or whatever is above).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If a proper connector were used while it seems strange it might have been acceptable. This is common practice with pilings (larger) to make repairs. Usually the cut is not straight access, it is a saddle cut and then bolts are added or metal re-enforcing.

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/