Default New to business - seeking advice

Hello,

I am contemplating on venturing into the home inspection industry. I have read a few of the threads on here and found them to be very useful (in particularly regarding ACHI vs. NACHI).

Any and all advice (good or bad) would help me to make a better informed decision on how to best go about setting up my business. Networking, realtors, leads, marketing, what to look out for, how to establish a presence etc.

I am located in West Michigan.

Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Hello Tamas Szoboszlai,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    Send Your Free Card

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: New to business - seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Tamas Szoboszlai View Post
    Hello,
    I am contemplating on venturing into the home inspection industry. I have read a few of the threads on here and found them to be very useful (in particularly regarding ACHI vs. NACHI).
    Any and all advice (good or bad) would help me to make a better informed decision on how to best go about setting up my business. Networking, realtors, leads, marketing, what to look out for, how to establish a presence etc.
    Thank you!
    Tamas,

DON'T DO IT! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

I think your best bet as a first step is to find an association chapter meeting and see if anyone will allow you to ride along. This will help you decide if this business is for you. i have had a number of folks "tag-along" on inspections and the vast majority don't go into the business. This is not an easy occupation in any way. It will take a couple of years of hard work marketing to get the business up and running, the choices in equipment and software are nearly overwhelming and the liability is daunting.

Good luck. We'll be watching.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

1. It may take up to three years to become established as an inspector. It will be an uphill battle. Hopefully you have a business plan and the monies required to endure the start up period. What with insurance, tools, marketing, education, liabilities, et ceteras. This biz has a high failure rate, and those that do survive the first years, may not always make the income that generally is advertised by inspection schools. Much depends on soliciting Realtors for your biz in the first years for referrals, after which if you are good you may be able to survive on referrals from others who are not Realtors.

2. There is a proliferation of inspectors since one non-association aka a marketing body will provide you with online tests which instantly allow you to market yourself as a 'certified' inspector in a myriad of specialties. For someone starting out in my view is the wrong way to go. I prefer college courses which issue real certification(s).

3. If you haven't already done so Youtube has quite a few videos showing various aspects of home inspecting as another aspect of picking up tricks of the trade and marketing aspects.

4. I can only relate to you my experiences from Ontario Canada. Right now in my area realestate prices have gone wild. There is a shortage of listings, and those listings that are available are receiving multiple bids. Hence many homes are over priced and the first condition to go in an effort to seal the deal are purchasers waiving conditions of an inspection, along with other conditions.

5. And don't believe what inspectors sometimes brag about the number of inspections they are doing per year unless they are willing to back it up with tangilble evidence. There is a lot of BS in this biz and like I said earlier whatever the motivation embellishments go hand in hand with marketing hype that really is non relevant to good inspecting and professionalism.

6. I would be remiss to tell you that your really need to research associations. Real associations have elected board of directors, voting rights, proper discipline hearings, bylaws, and financial statements, and annual general meetings. If this doesn't matter then take the road of least resistance and get your online certification. There is a vast difference between professional bodies and non professional bodies and I strongly urge you to do your home work on this aspect of what you want from your prospective that fit your needs and the need to be seen as a true professional.

7. These are my views as I have been in this biz since 1991 and seen a lot of changes.

Good luck to you, and trusting you succeed in your endeavours.

It is easy to discourage someone entering this field...

It really depends on your background, were you a contractor, engineer etc and do you have experience in running your own business.

For those of us who rarely worked for someone else, the concept of starting a business is normal and while time consuming not difficult. I you do not have an entrepreneurial background this will be the hardest part. It does take time to get any business up and running but without knowing more about you any advice would be a shot in the dark

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Hello,
    Hello, Tamas.
    Thank you for introducing yourself to the members.
    Join in discussions. Best way to learn.

I have a question or two.
    1: Are you currently a home inspector?
    2: Why do you wish to start a home inspection business?
    3: Have you ever started a business before?

Remember Johnny Carson & Carnac the Magnificent?
    carime the magnifacent.JPG
    I am holding an hermetically sealed envelope that has been kept in a mayonnaise jar on the porch of Funk and Wagnalls sense noon yesterday that I will reveal aloud when others posts have completed chiming in.
    I will give you a brief on what I foresee so far. I can see (2) two letters.

Yes ACHI and INACHI get coverage here. I think it's a bravado thing among association members. Too bad, So sad when it gets mean and ugly. Shows a lack of professionalism IMO.

Tamas, there are other home inspection associations besides ACHI or INACHI. The two you displayed are both unique and helped many reach the goal at becoming a certified home inspector but they are only a fraction of the 32 or so home inspection associations in North America.[/QUOTE]

Now you get to the meat and potatoes part.
    As I mentioned above, becoming a home inspector is just part of the equation. You do not have to be a business. The education can help you in many ways and is very rewarding.

Becoming a successful home inspection business is another thing all together. Like starting any business you require a successful business plan, investment capital, marketing and the drive to be self reliant even when all odds are stacked up against you.
    See if you own your own business why would you wish to be associated with a conflict of interest?
    Whereas if your are professional in your business.client relations, professionals will refer your business.
    Food for thought, Tamas.

As with any business the governments grant you a time to grow.
    If you are not a home inspector as of yet I would recommend becoming an inspector first, get some shadows under your belt when you completed your certifications and then see if the home inspection industry is what you are after as a business.
    Just my 2 cents.

Thank you!
    I am located in Montreal.
    You are welcome.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Correction,

ACHI is the wrong acronym, its ASHI.

Chapstick! Lots of Chapstick for all the broker a$$kissing that will be required during your career.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Correction, ACHI is the wrong acronym, its ASHI.
    Thanks for that Ray. I really was a bit confused - thought it might be a state organization. I googled ACHI and did not find an inspection association.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Thanks for that Ray. I really was a bit confused - thought it might be a state organization. I googled ACHI and did not find an inspection association.
    Good evening Gunner. Hope you are in good health and spirits.

There was a home inspection association in Ontario called the ACHI or TheACHI as it formerly became to be known.
    It is now defunct.
    I was and still am a member of the defunct Ontario association.
    George Luck was the president.
    Roy Cooke one of the first stakeholders/shareholders but later managed to leave the association financially whole.

Ray remembers the association.

Also there is OntaioACHI.
    I asked them when they first used the ACHI at the end of Ontario did they ask George Luck and the shareholders.
    Never did get a straight answer.

Ray knows them as well and has aired his concerns about the non for profit entity.
    I hope I got that right Raymond.
    Not trying to start anything. Just stating what I know.

Hi Robert,

Interesting information. But, I assume that Tamas is not intending to join a defunct Canadian home inspection organization.

True, but you never know, with global warning being real, major weather events are predicted to be more frequent, so one never knows if the earths atmosphere just might make it possible for this planet to spin faster than the speed of light eventually reversing us back in time to where he just might be able to join.
    You never know. Stranger things have happened. Look what happened to an astronaut and crew that crash-land on a strange planet in the distant future. Although the planet appeared to be desolate at first, the surviving crew members stumble upon a society in which apes have evolved into creatures with human-like intelligence and speech. Look where the really were.

Tamas, if this ever happens say you know a current member and annual fees are half price.

Even if not, it's a bit of the past.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 07-22-2016 at 06:11 PM.