Default reverse polarity in 90yr. old house

HI,I am new to this site looking for solution as to why part of my house shows the right polarity and
    part shows wrong polarity i.e. knob and tube which runs thru joists.
    I had to have an inspection done and when the inspector/appraiser went from room to room he plugged a polarity checker into numerous outlets that had the 3 wire receptacles some showed the right polarity and showed reverse polarity,the house still has some knob and tube wiring.
    How can i rectify this problem without tearing out the walls at great cost to me and would satisfy this man,is it possible that the wires just need to be reversed on the back side of receptacles to show the right polarity or is this just whimsical thinking on my part,thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: reverse polarity in 90yr. old house

First of all, you might want to get a licensed electrician to check this out for you. Likely, it can be fixed at the outlets. Hot wire goes to dark screw on outlet, neutral wire goes to silver screw on outlets. With Romex, its very easy - dark wire to dark screw, light wire to light screw (black and white wires).
    Get an electrician to look at this for you.

This may be a simple fix and one within your capabilities. However, properly .determining the simplicity or complexity of the underlying problem should be left to a qualified and competent electrician.

Knob and Tube may make your house uninsurable. Call your Insurance company!!
    Get an electrician to remove ALL K&T. Don't cut corners, it could kill someone

Seems even if only two (2) wires, some can still "get it wrong"...

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI