Default Wood stove vent not enclosed in chase

See Pic of a second floor bedroom.

Wood stove in main floor below, has thimble and fire stop at ceiling. Passes through a 2nd floor bedroom to a cathedral ceiling. (I do note there is no fire stop at the 2nd ceiling entrance in the bedroom.) My main question: is this vent required to be enclosed within a chase to prevent contact, and to prevent spread of fire?? What would be the correct code section to cite if I have to back it up?

Would it be:
    M1801.9. Fireblocking. Vent and chimney installations shall be fireblocked in accordance with R602.8

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Wood stove vent not enclosed in chase

I did find this, but it is pretty vague:

NFPA
    8.1.5.2 Chimneys shall be located or shielded to avoid the danger of burns to persons.

Pipe must be protected from impact or contact with people or combustibles. Must be a listed firestop at each floor or ceiling. There should be a cathedral ceiling support/ firestop upstairs as well as a ceiling support/ firestop at the first floor ceiling/ second floor level. No need for fire rated enclosure-just maintain clearance to combustibles, which is usually 2" on 103HT factory chimney.

In addition to the quote from NFPA 211 reference listed instructions of chimney.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

If I am reading the information correctly, that is not required to be "enclosed", only "protected" from contact because of the high temperature it could reach.

Thus no "shaft" enclosure is required around it, an open screen - type protection would meet that requirement provided it was strong enough and the openings small enough.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If I am reading the information correctly, that is not required to be "enclosed", only "protected" from contact because of the high temperature it could reach.

Thus no "shaft" enclosure is required around it, an open screen - type protection would meet that requirement provided it was strong enough and the openings small enough.
    I concur.
    Single wall stove pipes are exposed but not within reach.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

No requirement for vertical fireblocking in the IRC or 211 so yes, any suitable barrier that maintains the stated clearance would suffice. In fact, it would not necessarily have to extend to the ceiling but just above the level it could be reasonably anticipated someone could/ would come in contact with the chimney. You could use Plexiglas for instance. The listing on the chimney is based upon a maximum surface temp. rise of 90°F rise above ambient on materials at clearance. If the material can handle that temp. and maintain an effective barrier then it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think rice paper would be a suitable barrier for example.

Local codes may require vertical fireblocking so check. Calif. comes to mind.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.