Default bath fan venting

I was told by a builder today that venting bathroom fans into the attic is code compliant under IRC. New home construction. One is vented into the muddle of the attic space and the other into perforated soffit (or so claimed). No termination to the exterior of the building on either one.

What are the code articles that apply in this case? I'd like anything supporting the builder position or against it.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: bath fan venting

Tell that contractor to go to the hospital as he just shot himself/herself in the foot by specifying the IRC.

(bold and underlining are mine)
    M1501.1 Outdoor discharge.
    The air removed by every mechanical exhaust system shall be discharged to the outdoors in accordance with section M1508.3. Air shall not be exhausted into an attic, soffit, ridge vent or crawl space.
    Exception: Whole-house ventilation-type attic fans that discharge into the attic space of dwelling units having private attics shall be permitted.

M1506.3 Exhaust openings.
    Air exhaust opening shall terminate not less than 3 feet (914 mm) from property lines; 3 feet (914 mm) from operable and nonoperable openings into the building and 10 feet (3048 mm) from mechanical air intakes except where the opening is located 3 feet (914 mm) above the air intake. Openings shall comply with Sections R303.5.2 and R303.6.

Note that "operable and nonoperable opening into the building" include soffit vents, gable vents, ridge vents, off-ridge vents - any opening into the building, which includes the attic and crawlspace..

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you Jerry

Last edited by John Dirks Jr; 09-22-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Whenever a contractor tells me X is or isn't allowed under the Code my response is always pretty much the following with additions depending on circumstances:
    "That's great so you won't have a problem providing that Code section in writing to my client prior to closing".
    - Most contractors don't even own a Code book
    - Most contractors make those claims hoping you are a checkbox idiot inspector who want go the extra steps to protect your client
    - Lots of contractors, even fairly good ones, are often operating under 'urban myths'. Very common issue that I used to deal with as a contractor years ago and also was to blame for at times.
    Had a buyers contractor storm out in a huff on an inspection last month. He was making all kinds of goofy claims that just were not legit. I mentioned to the client multiple times that his statements weren't quite accurate (I was trying to be nice). I especially loved his comment about the handrail along the stairs (single family home) "It's not quite ADA compliant but we can work with it and save you some money".
    Guess I'm the idiot for missing the memo informing us all that a handrail in a single family home had to be ADA compliant.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    - Most contractors don't even own a Code book
    True statement in my area. No continuing ed here for GC licenses.

"It's not quite ADA compliant but we can work with it and save you some money".
    Guess I'm the idiot for missing the memo informing us all that a handrail in a single family home had to be ADA compliant.
    Probably no sense of irony referring to ADA at a set of steps.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Marshall Brown Guest

It's funny how when you think you have a bit of knowledge you don't look further. Years ago I was told, probably by someone in HI school, that a bathroom or kitchen could vent within 6" of ridge vent or roof vent and that would suffice. Since I "knew" it, I never thought to look into it any further. Duh! Thanks Jerry.