Default stairway or landing discussion

guys

I'm having a discussion with city inspectors and property owner on these commercial golf course stairs or landings--which are they???. there are 6 stairs with the width of 36 inches side to side, but the tread is only 24 inches. I say they are stairs and require handrail..hat s your thought on this.

charlie

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by CHARLIE VAN FLEET; 10-02-2016 at 06:08 AM. Reason: no pictures
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: stairway or landing discussion

Thanks Charlie - my thoughts go towards the fact that the sloped grade that follows the "steps" and "landing" does not exceed 24". (That's a Canadian Code thing) Thus a "guard" or "handrail" is not required.

It would be nice to see in the case for those that may see the hand railing as benefit to them, such as with some mobility issues.

Charlie,

What is the code adopted by the AHJ?

Not that it likely matters - all codes I can think of have the same requirements for landings: the landing shall be at least as wide as the stair and at least as deep as the stair is wide, but is not required to be greater than 4 feet deep for stairs which have a straight run.

With the minimum width of the stairs likely being 44 inches in width, the minimum size for a landing would be 44 inches wide by 44 inches deep.

And, if for some reason that is permitted to be only 36 inches wide, the minimum depth of a landing would be 36 inches.

Thus those are not "landings" based on the minimum size requirements for "landings".

Also, that door is not permitted to block more than 50% of the required width (of the stair) at any point in its swing and not be more than 7 inches from the wall when fully opened (needs to swing all the way to the wall so the door does not block the egress and only blocks the egress path by a maximum of 7 inches when fully opened).

But all that may depend on the code in effect, if a code has been adopted.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

They are neither stairs or landings; they are landscaping, and the code doesn't address them. Similarly a retaining wall doesn't require a guard. The stairs in the second picture are a component in the egress system for the building; once an occupant hits the bottom of those stairs they can go anywhere they want. I would recommend a handrail, but it isn't required.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Weck View Post
    They are neither stairs or landings; they are landscaping, and the code doesn't address them. Similarly a retaining wall doesn't require a guard. The stairs in the second picture are a component in the egress system for the building; once an occupant hits the bottom of those stairs they can go anywhere they want. I would recommend a handrail, but it isn't required.
    They are stairs by definition and use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

FRED
    I don't agree at all---we walk up and down what you are calling landscaping every day--they are stairs by what I see per code--as stated the landings re 36 " by 24"--that what makes them stairs and they need handrail by code--going to see city inspector with photos today

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    FRED
    I don't agree at all---we walk up and down what you are calling landscaping every day--they are stairs by what I see per code--as stated the landings re 36 " by 24"--that what makes them stairs and they need handrail by code--going to see city inspector with photos today

Charlie
    So what did the inspector say?

I agree with CHARLIE VAN FLEET.
    They are not typical stairs but have a rise/riser and tread/run.
    Commercial Landscaping stairs.
    1: Handrails are required.
    2: The door inhibits free circulation when opened.
    It can not interfere or present a danger when opened to individuals descending or about to ascend the stairs.
    So far here is what I found from the IBC 2006 Code.
    I will research further later today.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...air-codes.html

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Pretty sure here in MA. they would be considered stairs and a railing would be at least requested by the Blg. Dept. if not required.