Default Stucco Inspection- Stain or mold

Hello,

We are looking at purchasing this home that is 11 years old. During our home inspection the inspector recommended a full Stucco inspection, as a preventative measure, because we are known to have a lot of issues in PA and he did not have much experience with it. There are no visible cracks, but there are two lighter marks under each of the corners of the windows. I believe it is EIFS as there are Styrofoam squares on the boarder of the home. The Styrofoam squares are the only parts that have a little nick in it from something hitting it.
    I am becoming quite worried after reading so much about the extensive damage that can be caused by improper installation and water infiltration. We are trying to determine if a full intrusive inspection is necessary or not as it it quite expensive. Any advise helps. Thank youIMG_3307.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Hello Trisha Shoe,

I'm Brian Hannigan and I am the creator of InspectionNews

Welcome aboard. Enjoy your visit here at InspectionNews and if there is anything I can help you with just let me know.

As a "Thank You" for making your first post I have a gift for you. You can pick it up at:
    SendOutCards

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Stucco Inspection- Stain or mold

Commonly the main field of the home is traditional stucco and the squares on the corners are EIFS. Your home inspector should be able to tell you that much.

Picture is too far away to make any meaningful review.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Trisha,

From what I see in your photo and as you allude every window has water staining at bottom of window corners. Be cautious.

For my liking and given the multitude of of failures of EIF's because of bad installation methods, I would strongly suggest you go for an intrusive inspection method. Although it may be expensive it is still cheaper than buying a house with hidden damage that may only come to light after your purchase.

Btw the corner faux blocks are called, 'quoining'. fwiw.

Hi, Trisha.
    Looks like typical traditional stucco but that photo is low res and far away.

To answer you post, no mold. Staining.
    Likely from the window frames.

Did the inspector take his time on the envelope?
    Wall openings, penetrations and protrusions on all homes.
    Flashing, caulking and seals insure wall assembly integrity!
    Geez Louise!

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Okay so we had a stucco contractor come out to give us a quote and he actually commented the stucco application. It is actually traditional stucco and not EIFS, which makes me feel a little better. He believes that the staining on the sides of the window is oxidation and the small crack under the window is from the home settling. There is no kick out flashing from the one gutter that attaches to the home. But that's on the side of the home, just a 2-3 foot section of wall between the garage and the home. He believes this would be the only place water would be getting in, but no signs. He wants to rip it all down and redo it. Still waiting for a quote.... But at least I'm a little more at ease.