Default Hurricane Matthew

I have been absent for a while and now that the hurricane is busting the Fla. coast I am concerned for Jerry. I do not see any chatter regarding his safety though I am sure he is smart enough to stay out of harms way, I would just like to let him know I am thinking of him and wish him the best of luck with Matthew.

Good luck Jerry Peck
    Your friend always
    Vern

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Default Re: Hurricane Matthew

Vern,

I can let you know how things are going tomorrow, right now, winds from the outer bands are howling overhead on a frequent basis.

We are supposed to get tropical storm force winds in the wee hours of the morning, and hurricane force winds late morning through midday.

Regarding the projected storm surge and flooding, we are 4 miles in from the ocean and on "high ground" (for Florida, anyway) at 23 feet above sea level, so an 11 foot storm surge would only lap half way up the 23 foot "hill" we live on (that is, if we were at the beach, but no storm surge this far away).

The critical part will be if Hurricane Matthew makes landfall, touches the coastline, or stays off the coastline (the farther off the coastline the better for all of us).

If I have power in the morning ... that will be a good thing. If not, I will need to start looking around to see how bad things are (but I don't expect any real damage from the tropical storm force winds, the hurricane force winds ... depends on ho strong they are.

So far, that little monster seems to be hugging the coastline about 75 miles out, and with a 40 mile eye, that puts the 130 mph winds 30+/- miles out to sea ... if it stays out there.

This house is not like our house in South Florida was, this one is a frame house built in 1979 - 1/2 inch roof sheathing (at most), stapled on (and not even well stapled on), with those 1970s style "hurricane" clips (which sound better ... "hurricane" ... than the good they do).

When we go to replace our roof within the next year, at least the roof sheathing will be re-nailed (actually, it will be "nailed", not "re-nailed", but that is what it is called even though it is "stapled" now ) ... then the roof sheathing will have a better chance of staying attached than with the staples like it has.

30 year old single pane windows, which we will be replacing with impact windows ... next year is our plan - would have been nice to have them now. Oh well, it is what it is.

Thank you for your concern - will update tomorrow sometime.

Thank you my friend.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lost power just before 6 am, which caused our UPS backups to start beeping, which woke us up to 'no power' .... using my phone as we sit here is in the dark.

At least a little daylight is beginning to show through so the outside is no longer totally dark.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

No power since Thursday morning.

Cell service has been limited to texts, Internet and phone service just now trying to come back up (got a 'no service' message twice while typing this). Hopefully this will go through when I click submit.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    You didn't run your extension cord over to your neighbors Gen before you went to bed?

All the best.
    Stay safe.
    Keep us posted.

Look on the bright side of life.
    If the ocean storm surge carries the water close to your home, then when this is all over your property will be worth triple its value as beach front property.
    Always a silver lining somewhere.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Jerry,
    You didn't run your extension cord over to your neighbors Gen before you went to bed?
    Unfortunately, the neighbor next door who has a whole house generator is not the type of person to offer to share, and if asked to share would refuse (in South Florida during Wilma, we were the neighbor with the whole house generator and I went out to me neighbors offering power ... had cords going out to 4 houses ... didn't have any more cords).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    All the best.
    Stay safe.
    Keep us posted.

Look on the bright side of life.
    If the ocean storm surge carries the water close to your home, then when this is all over your property will be worth triple its value as beach front property.
    Always a silver lining somewhere.
    I've kidded about that with global warming too ... then when they said storm surge of 11 feet with beachside being only 8 feet above sea level.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Unfortunately, the neighbor next door who has a whole house generator is not the type of person to offer to share, and if asked to share would refuse (in South Florida during Wilma, we were the neighbor with the whole house generator and I went out to me neighbors offering power ... had cords going out to 4 houses ... didn't have any more cords).

- - - Updated - - -

I've kidded about that with global warming too ... then when they said storm surge of 11 feet with beachside being only 8 feet above sea level.

I guess southern FL must have the nicer, more neighborly people; even after you left...

Isn't that the idea that the Smothers' brothers had on buying real estate in the west???

Finally ... power back on at 10:30 last night.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Power company outage map shows my beach house at Cherry Grove SC as having power back, but now the water is rising and flooding the roads to the house. Don't know what the condition of the house is yet, defiantly some water damage though.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Happy to have you back.
    Hope everyone is safe.
    Bet you missed your PC. I do not like using my phone to post.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”