Default Done with agents.. or their done with me.

So I was reflecting on my position here many years ago and how I would perform 2+ inspections a day and that 97% of my business was agent referral. I am happy to announce that as of this year to date, my agent referral is not even 3% of my total business. The rest is internet and friends of family.
    Things that have changed:
    • My minimum fee for 2000s q was $275, now its $500.
    • I did 2 houses a day (or 3 condos) now I do one. (house)
    • My reports were average 40 pages. Now they are no less than 70++
    • My inspection time was 1.5 hours, yes even 3000 sq. now 1500 sq takes me 3 hours
    • We advertised to all agents. Now we will not even take an agents call, their client must make personal contact with us to schedule.
    • I worked 6 days, now i work 5.
    • There used to be only 2 agents, big agents, that will not allow my company on the property to inspect their listings, now there are more than 5 in the same office. (very unethical I know)
    • I used to hate inspecting now i love it.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Done with agents.. or their done with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    • `I did 2 houses a day (or 3 condos) now I do one. (house).....
    • There used to be only 2 agents, big agents, that will not allow my company on the property to inspect their listings, now there are more than 5 in the same office. (very unethical I know)...................................
    I believe the adage is "work smarter not harder". Good for you,

Interesting that agents don't let you on property to do inspection. Would love to see how that is written into the sales contract when there is a contingency making the contract dependent on the outcome of the Home Inspection. Do they specifically list you/your company?

Would like to be the Buyer's Agent and rake the Sellers agent over the coals since it would be a contract issue. Aaasaaah the good old days of beating the snot out of the other agent to get them to do what you (your client) wanted.

Way to go Marc! I quit marketing to Real Estate offices many years ago. I do have a bunch of Realtors that use me for their clients faithfully, but I also have some that refer me because I inspected one of their listings.
    I also have a couple that don't want me to inspect their listings. They usually will make some sort of unrealistic time restriction to try to keep me out. I haven't had one name me in a contract yet.
    Personally, I don't care who calls to set up the inspection. A large percentage of my clients are not in Knoxville, and do not attend the inspection. I communicate mostly by email with them.
    While I usually do two inspections a day (unless the house is large), I try to only work M-Th. I save Fridays to work for past clients that have a time crunch.
    My inspection times have not really increased, but the report size has gotten larger in the last few years.
    ALWAYS, its about working less for more.

Happy for you Marc.
    Have several REA that refer me.

I was blacklisted from the start.
    By 5 REA Real Estate Agencies that groomed me prior to being told by all. your name will travel quickly and without us you well not be able to work.

Been spat at. Thrown off a job after 1 hour by 3 agents physically,tools as well.Threatened physical violence on the job. Locked outside for 5 minutes minus 25c with just a shirt. Screamed at. Followed home by an agency owner that watched from 9:00 am and I arrived home at 3.
    Last month a buyers agent left a bogus google business review. He will see what happens soon.

Good and bad in every industry.

All the best.
    God bless.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Wow... you guys get rough out there in Canada. Like your Hockey huh? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    Happy for you Marc.

By 5 REA Real Estate Agencies that groomed me prior to being told by all. your name will travel quickly and without us you well not be able to work.

Been spat at. Thrown off a job after 1 hour by 3 agents physically,tools as well.Threatened physical violence on the job. Locked outside for 5 minutes minus 25c with just a shirt. Screamed at. Followed home by an agency owner that watched from 9:00 am and I arrived home at 3.
    Last month a buyers agent left a bogus google business review. He will see what happens soon.

All the best.
    God bless.

Actually, they all do the same thing. When the buyers agent schedules the inspection the listing agent asks who it is or will simply say, if its Mazza inspections, the owner will not allow them on the property.
    Ive has layers write letters but it doesn't matter unless i go to court and really.. i don't wish to waste 10-20K to fight these idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    I believe the adage is "work smarter not harder". Good for you,

Interesting that agents don't let you on property to do inspection. Would love to see how that is written into the sales contract when there is a contingency making the contract dependent on the outcome of the Home Inspection. Do they specifically list you/your company?

Would like to be the Buyer's Agent and rake the Sellers agent over the coals since it would be a contract issue. Aaasaaah the good old days of beating the snot out of the other agent to get them to do what you (your client) wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    Happy for you Marc.

All the best.
    God bless.
    Wow! You do have a rough crowd. I don't know the laws in Canada, but I have a carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Wow! You do have a rough crowd. I don't know the laws in Canada, but I have a carry permit.
    Use to be bad 5 years ago.
    I took 3.5 hours to inspect. REA's expected 1.5.
    Still get one or 2 cowboys or cowgirls a year.
    One broker, no more REA titles in Quebec, left a bogus review on my google business page a few months back. Modus operandi, God only knows. Professionals do not act like that.
    I called him and he told me over the phone 4 times he did not know me nor did he leave a google review on my business. He was the buyers agent assigned to the listings. The listings agent was areal piece of work indeed.
    Too bad, so sad.
    Not over yet

Laws are tougher than stateside when it comes to firearms.
    Never had a carry permit.
    Shooting long and short arms scene 1970. 22 caliber to 44 Dan Wesson special's. The recoil ports from the Dan Wesson I used made the drop curtains in the stall flap like a flag in the wind. Shooters in the next stall would sure be surprised.

I don't know what carrying a handgun has to do with difficult Realtors but can appreciate the thought of protection from those who would be inclined to assault you .... however up here in Canada handguns are restricted. A person cannot carry a handgun, concealed or otherwise unless a special permit is issued which is in very very rare circumstances. A person can own/purchase a handgun but special permit is required and lengthy process of background checks, and you can only take your firearm to and from a range or to a gunsmith. Even then the gun must be carried in a locked hand safe which must be placed in the trunk of your car and can only be taken to and from a range (accept for repair). The gun must be stored at your home in a locked safe. But this has not hindered criminal activity since we have guns being smuggled across the border into Canada. But then again we don't have the plague of mass shootings as we see state side accept for a black on black crime issue (gangs).

As for my experience since 1991 I quickly found out that not all Realtors are ethically equal. Hence I stopped soliciting Realtors a long time ago. Not that I really solicited them other than pamphlets in offices. While get the odd inspection through Realtor recommendation, the main stay is referral from past clients, repeat clients, lawyer/banker referral.

I can honestly say I have reached my saturation point doing inspections. It's not as fun as it use to be. Too many in it, and too many take the quick easy way in obtaining so called certifications. Price variances, Realtor favorites, and inspectors who compromise their integrity and ethics.

Over the years I have repeatedly received accolades from happy clients, that to me is the benchmark.

Since I have just turned 60 I am winding down my home inspection biz. I also have another company managing realestate (commercial and residential) properties which dovetailed with home inspections. I am my own boss, and can work when I want to my schedule.

Most recently I completed the razing of two homes, and will oversee demolition of a commercial building.

A lot less stress and liability for me, but enjoy the challenges of new endeavours.

Actually, they all do the same thing. When the buyers agent schedules the inspection the listing agent asks who it is or will simply say, if its Mazza inspections, the owner will not allow them on the property.
    Ive has layers write letters but it doesn't matter unless i go to court and really.. i don't wish to waste 10-20K to fight these idiots.
    I can understand that you would not want to expend the time and money to make a stand on principal. Which is what the agent or broker are relying on.

When I was an agent, many many years ago, and I needed to get the seller and their agent to accept a breach in the sales contract by the buyer. I would set them up with the scenario that buyer would make it such that the seller could not market or accept any contract on the property. Additionally stressing that it would be a long - long drawn out process while the dispute was being resolved . Emphasizing the cost to the seller in time and money in addition to loosing potential sales. Typically the issue was the dissolution of the sales contract a and the returning of all money despite what may have been in the contract.

The typical sales contract has the clause making the contract contingent on the buyer having a home inspection performed within some specific period of time. Typically the language is innocuous with the exception of the time allowed. Oddly the home inspection has become something so excepted that no one pays attention to the actual wording.

If the wording in the sales contract were to include the sellers acceptance of the HI of the buyers choosing in addition to unfettered access to the property, the seller could not prevent any HI from doing the inspection else they would be in breach of the contract and the game of hard ball would begin.

Defamation of character, restraint of trade, ethics violations and the list could go on for the spunky attorney that may like the challenge or just has a bone to pick with the brokerage or agent. Then there is also the dollar percentage to reap from the potential settlement.

We know that the seller's agent doesn't want you involved because of the fear that you will queer the deal and the agent will not get paid. Agents and brokers are typically strictly interested in the pay day. The pain of you not doing the inspection has to be made greater than the pain of you doing the inspection.

Being black balled by an agent or brokerage is something of a badge of honor for the good HI. Kinda wounder if an advertisement was made around the fact that the agents did everything in their power to keep you from being the HI for the buyer and why; would it bring you more business in than that may have been lost? Whimsical thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I don't know what carrying a handgun has to do with difficult Realtors but can appreciate the thought of protection from those who would be inclined to assault you .... however up here in Canada handguns are restricted. A person cannot carry a handgun, concealed or otherwise unless a special permit is issued which is in very very rare circumstances. A person can own/purchase a handgun but special permit is required and lengthy process of background checks, and you can only take your firearm to and from a range or to a gunsmith. Even then the gun must be carried in a locked hand safe which must be placed in the trunk of your car and can only be taken to and from a range (accept for repair). The gun must be stored at your home in a locked safe. But this has not hindered criminal activity since we have guns being smuggled across the border into Canada. But then again we don't have the plague of mass shootings as we see state side accept for a black on black crime issue (gangs).

As for my experience since 1991 I quickly found out that not all Realtors are ethically equal. Hence I stopped soliciting Realtors a long time ago. Not that I really solicited them other than pamphlets in offices. While get the odd inspection through Realtor recommendation, the main stay is referral from past clients, repeat clients, lawyer/banker referral.

I can honestly say I have reached my saturation point doing inspections. It's not as fun as it use to be. Too many in it, and too many take the quick easy way in obtaining so called certifications. Price variances, Realtor favorites, and inspectors who compromise their integrity and ethics.

Over the years I have repeatedly received accolades from happy clients, that to me is the benchmark.

Since I have just turned 60 I am winding down my home inspection biz. I also have another company managing realestate (commercial and residential) properties which dovetailed with home inspections. I am my own boss, and can work when I want to my schedule.

Most recently I completed the razing of two homes, and will oversee demolition of a commercial building.

A lot less stress and liability for me, but enjoy the challenges of new endeavours.
    So happy for you.
    Hopefully I will use your business model and realign my practice to suite a specific niche.
    Best regards as always, Ray.

Ray,
    It was kind of in jest. However, I do carry, and keep my gun in my car during inspections, if people are around.
    I have never had to show my gun to anyone, but came very close when a renter started threatening me. I was able to get into my car, and had my gun in my lap. It was a very tense time, and I'm glad I had my gun with me that day.
    Sounds like you have a retirement plan going there. Wish you the best.

Thanks Jack,

There are some real scary people out there that is for sure. Up here if one were to use a gun in defence the gun owner would be prosecuted and the criminal treated as the victim.

Best to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Robert I wouldn't want you to pick up my bad business practices! Would you want to be labelled a deal breaker? ha ha.

Best.

So I was reflecting on my position here many years ago and how I would perform 2+ inspections a day and that 97% of my business was agent referral. I am happy to announce that as of this year to date, my agent referral is not even 3% of my total business. The rest is internet and friends of family.
    Things that have changed:
    • My minimum fee for 2000s q was $275, now its $500.
    • I did 2 houses a day (or 3 condos) now I do one. (house)
    • My reports were average 40 pages. Now they are no less than 70++
    • My inspection time was 1.5 hours, yes even 3000 sq. now 1500 sq takes me 3 hours
    • We advertised to all agents. Now we will not even take an agents call, their client must make personal contact with us to schedule.
    • I worked 6 days, now i work 5.
    • There used to be only 2 agents, big agents, that will not allow my company on the property to inspect their listings, now there are more than 5 in the same office. (very unethical I know)
    • I used to hate inspecting now i love it.
    Well done. What advice would you give to someone trying to get seen online?http:///www/Wisehomeinspectionsfl.com

Been at this 11 years now and average 20% increase every year till this year as I can not handle more but my ratio has been going from majority web to 90% referral from past clients and Agents with about a 50% split between the two.
    I have never ever marketed past websites nor even visited a RE office .

Just word of mouth as my service gets talked about in the offices which keep ratings internally.

My philosophy is to record as many issues as possible to help negotiation.

Everything is T and M . Success is about developing relationships as in any business.

- - - Updated - - -

Been at this 11 years now and average 20% increase every year till this year as I can not handle more but my ratio has been going from majority web to 90% referral from past clients and Agents with about a 50% split between the two.

Just word of mouth as my service gets talked about in the offices which keep ratings internally.

Everything is T and M . Success is about developing relationships as in any business.

- - - Updated - - -

Chicagopropertyinspection.com

Bob,

"Everything is T and M"

I presume you are referring to time and materials - so you charge by the hour? Excellent.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post

Good advice Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Wise View Post
    Well done. What advice would you give to someone trying to get seen online?http:///www/Wisehomeinspectionsfl.com
    Phil, It's hard to say which one single form of On line media works best for us. Its sort-of an all-of-the-above approach. time is your biggest obstacle with websites. I know for a fact that good back links are a quick way to boost your presence as well as having 100 5 star reviews from yelp.
    Good website content is key.
    I've paid all kinds of web companies and SEO companies to do my sep but found one single company who does it all. He really knows his stuff with SEO IMO.
    https://connectivewebdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bob,

"Everything is T and M"

I presume you are referring to time and materials - so you charge by the hour? Excellent.
    Actually Jerry meant Time and Money.Who's time and Who's money?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Bob,

"Everything is T and M"

Actually Jerry meant Time and Money.Who's time and Who's money?

Chicagopropertyinspection.com