Default Shower pan build up at drain.....

Has anyone seen this before. This is only 1 yr old home. I did the final and it was not like this. Builder is telling home owner it is natural mineral buildup from grout or thinset. I am thinking shower pan/floor was not installed correctly. Cracking and undulation noted. Material is building up at drain line, below grate.
    I have never seen it before. All tiles in shower are porcelain.
    20161007_140025.jpg20161007_140036.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by TcDuhon; 10-08-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Shower pan build up at drain.....

Definitely something amiss, that is not the result of hard water. Further the grout appears cracked. Hidden leakage = hidden damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TcDuhon View Post
    Has anyone seen this before. This is only 1 yr old home. I did the final and it was not like this. Builder is telling home owner it is natural mineral buildup from grout or thinset. I am thinking shower pan/floor was not installed correctly. Cracking and undulation noted. Material is building up at drain line, below grate.
    I have never seen it before. All tiles in shower are porcelain.
    20161007_140025.jpg20161007_140036.jpg
    TC
    numerous interweb articles about grout efflorescence
    a pan test w/test ball can be performed by the plumber of record to assure no pan seepage/leakage is occurring
    when leakage is verified the tile setter of record has a problem & will have to rectify
    regardless of them wanting to take the path of least resistance
    sealing tile/grout is not the proper remedy for pan leakage ;~))
    been down this road numerous times
    hth

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Hard to tell from the pic.
    Limestone?

Bar Soap Scum and hard water deposits can leave a film that resembles efflorescence.
    Use a scratch awl to scratch the surface.

Typically efflorescence travels through the material and dries on the arid side. That would mean the water is behind the scratch coat and tiles. Tap on the tiles with the back of a screwdriver lightly Listen if there is a hollow sound. Typically the tiles lift.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

This is sort of an interesting one. It looks like a chemical reaction to me. There's some efflorescence, but that wouldn't do that. However, it might point to the problem: could they have dumped corrosive cleaning products in this shower? It almost looks like there's an incompatibility between the tiles and mortar, don't know what that could mean. It's only reacting where it would stay moist for extended periods. Interesting.

Jon Ellis Guest

TC,

If the shower is on a slab foundation and you didn't find any signs of moisture in the areas surrounding the shower, it's difficult to say anything intelligent about the condition of the shower pan. The pan system below the mortar bed may be holding water, but with inadequate slope toward the two-part drain flange. If water is pooling under the mortar bed of the tile, it could lead to excessive efflorescence. I would suggest cleaning and monitoring the area, along with sealing the grout and tile. If the problem returns, the mortar bed is probably saturated and not draining properly.

Good Luck!
    Jon