Default Cold Air Return for Geo Thermal Heating

I don't see many of these but just had one that the cold air return consisted of a short run that terminates within three foot of the furnace inside the furnace closet. There are no other return air ducts in the home. Should there be a return air system?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Cold Air Return for Geo Thermal Heating

Yes there should be multiple returns. The current set up will starve supply air due to restrictions of being situated in a closet unless it has door vents or the ceiling of the room is open. Cold air has to be pulled back through furnace from various areas of the house. Lack thereof could hinder rooms/space being improperly heated/cooled.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Yes there should be multiple returns. The current set up will starve supply air due to restrictions of being situated in a closet unless it has door vents or the ceiling of the room is open. Cold air has to be pulled back through furnace from various areas of the house. Lack thereof could hinder rooms/space being improperly heated/cooled.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Not enough information given to answer the question as I understand the question.

"Cold air return" would be the return air, right?

Depending on the layout of the house, one return air back to the system will work fine.

The key is to get as much return air back to the system as the system is capable of pushing out the supply ... and there are various return air layouts which can do that, including a single return if employed properly and it in a floor plan which allows that to work.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Not enough information given to answer the question as I understand the question.

"Cold air return" would be the return air, right?

Depending on the layout of the house, one return air back to the system will work fine.

The key is to get as much return air back to the system as the system is capable of pushing out the supply ... and there are various return air layouts which can do that, including a single return if employed properly and it in a floor plan which allows that to work.
    Jerry,

Yes it is the return air that I was referrng to. Thiaetro istal ofa Geo Thrmasym in a one hunred and sixteen year old house. The funace is in a closet that measures roughly 8x8 foot with an ufinished ceiling. There is a return air duct that is open in the furnace closetr and it is about three foot long. There is a register on the east wall of the closet that pulls air from a hallway.

I recommended they have a licensed HVAC technician look at it.

Mike

Mike,

Think of it this way (I'm having difficulty in visualizing what you are describing, this might help you for what I am thinking): you have a furnace closet, there is a door to the hallway, that door is a louvered door ... basically the same thing but instead of 3 feet the return is 1-3/8 inches (the thickness of the door).

Similar to what you are describing?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com