Thread: IRC Help

Default IRC Help

We are using 2009 IRC. For those of you who are deep in your understanding of the IRC:

My wife and I will be building a house this spring. I'm making up some drawings for the foundation walls. One wall will be basically underground almost all of the way across. I have it designed now as a 9 foot tall, with 8 foot of back fill. I am using an 8" Logix ICF system. I will need to show the vertical rebar plan for the foundation wall.

For an 8" flat wall, there are two tables. One chart on page 94, table 404.1.2(3), 8" flat concrete basement wall, 9 foot high wall with 8 foot of back fill calls for 1 #6 bar every 36".

Then there is table 404.1.2(8) on page 99. Same parameters for the wall calls for #5 rebar every 41" on center.

I read through it three times, and can't seem to see any wording that tells me why the charts are different. Any insight for me?

Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Default Re: IRC Help

Jim, Tables 404.1.2(2) - (7) have the reinforcement at the center of the wall, see footnote b. Table 404.1.2(8) has the reinforcement 1.25" maximum from the inside face of the wall, see footnotes h & I. See also Section 404.1.2.3.7.2.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes the table footnotes tell you more than the table does.

Default Re: IRC Help

Thank you. That does explain it. I'm supposed to use the table for the steel placement towards the inside.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA