Default Helping the Newb

Hey guys I'm still a young inspector learning the process and had a question. I've never seen PVC directly connected to the water supply main like this before is this ok? I didn't know if it could handle the pressure or not. Thanks!!!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Helping the Newb

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Scheuerer View Post
    Hey guys I'm still a young inspector learning the process and had a question. I've never seen PVC directly connected to the water supply main like this before is this ok? I didn't know if it could handle the pressure or not. Thanks!!!
    Hi Aaron,

To the best of my knowledge, PVC is not approved for use within the building envelope for water supply. It is ok for DWV.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Is that white (and just dirty) or is that yellowish)

White would be PVC, yellowish would be CPVC.

Both are permitted for that use.

The thing which caught my eye is that the shut off valve is on the supply side of the meter (presuming that the plastic piping is the house side).

I'm not sure of other areas, but I've always found the shut off valve on the house side.

The utility shut off valve is typically by the street from my experience, the utility shut off valve allows replacement of the meter ... the valve shown would allow the homeowner to remove the valve and replace it with pipe between meter readings.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Aaron,

To the best of my knowledge, PVC is not approved for use within the building envelope for water supply. It is ok for DWV.
    That looks like it is the water service pipe outside the building ... but that is a good clarification which needs to be made as the location does matter.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks guys!! Yes I did notice the shut off valve on the opposite side as well I didn't know if that was an issue that I should write up though. It is definitely white pvc though. I looked in my code check book and in the water supply section it says PVC is fine for service but not distribution. What is the difference between service and distribution ?

Water service pipe is outside the building and ends at the service shut off valve, which should also be outside the building.

Water distribution piping is from the service shut off valveiinto the building and throughout the building.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Water service pipe is outside the building and ends at the service shut off valve, which should also be outside the building.

Water distribution piping is from the service shut off valveiinto the building and throughout the building.

How can can that be? It says that it's fine for service but not distrubution but it is used all the time for distrubution right? And if what u are saying is true than isn't this pvc on the distrubution side meaning that it's not supposed to be used in this spot ?

- - - Updated - - -

There is also pVC going to the water heater so this is wrong too right ? Sorry for so many questions this is literally like my 3rd inspection ever on my own I just want to be sure

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

How can can that be? It says that it's fine for service but not distrubution but it is used all the time for distrubution right? And if what u are saying is true than isn't this pvc on the distrubution side meaning that it's not supposed to be used in this spot ?
    If it is PVC, it needs to be outside the foot print of the house if on a pressure line.

There is also pVC going to the water heater so this is wrong too right ? Sorry for so many questions this is literally like my 3rd inspection ever on my own I just want to be sure
    Looks like CPVC, see that yellowish glue? That pipe is likely yellowish (kind of a cream/yellow color) - that is CPVC, and CPVC is allowed inside.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If it is PVC, it needs to be outside the foot print of the house if on a pressure line.

Looks like CPVC, see that yellowish glue? That pipe is likely yellowish (kind of a cream/yellow color) - that is CPVC, and CPVC is allowed inside.

ahhhhhhh awesome thanks!!!!!

Thanks guys!! Yes I did notice the shut off valve on the opposite side as well I didn't know if that was an issue that I should write up though. It is definitely white pvc though. I looked in my code check book and in the water supply section it says PVC is fine for service but not distribution. What is the difference between service and distribution ?

Is definitely something you want to write up if you think about it if they don't have a main water shut off on the house side, if that one on the street side were to ever break there's no way to turn off the water in their house. Huge future issue potentially.