Default FLIR Thermal Imaging Cameras

FLIR is having a great Black Friday sale. The E5 is on sale for $995, the E6 for $1495 and the E8 for $2495. I was going to buy the E5 and now upgraded to the E6 for same price.

Merry Christmas

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: FLIR Thermal Imaging Cameras

Get the T640.Theres some that are half off it looks like. Pull the trigger. No pun intended

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Remember when you could unlock an E4.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Get the T640.Theres some that are half off it looks like. Pull the trigger. No pun intended
    A: In the thermogram IMG_0316.JPG, what is the anomaly?
    B: As well, is the upper plenum insulated? Never seen that before.
    Appears to be a NG heat pump in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    A: In the thermogram IMG_0316.JPG, what is the anomaly?
    B: As well, is the upper plenum insulated? Never seen that before.
    Appears to be a NG heat pump in operation.
    That was for from my Level III field assignment. No issue there.
    Here in CA they insulate the plenum in the garage.

Thanks Mark.
    I recognised no anomalies but do not have the level of achievement nor the camera you appeared to be utilizing to preform thermal imaging.

I do enjoy the sharp blended detail.
    No need for Flirs MSX technology overlapping images.
    The OSX™ is mind blowing. The FLIR T1K / T1020 is an ultimate game changer. Look at the size of the lens. Oh my god!

I incorporate my Ti300 into my building assessments. Versatile tool.
    Hope Fluke start selling 4 times 0ver sampling to increase resolution like Testo. I would by a Testo camera if they were not so dam ugly and fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    Thanks Mark.
    I recognised no anomalies but do not have the level of achievement nor the camera you appeared to be utilizing to preform thermal imaging.

I do enjoy the sharp blended detail.
    No need for Flirs MSX technology overlapping images.
    The OSX™ is mind blowing. The FLIR T1K / T1020 is an ultimate game changer. Look at the size of the lens. Oh my god!

I incorporate my Ti300 into my building assessments. Versatile tool.
    Hope Fluke start selling 4 times 0ver sampling to increase resolution like Testo. I would by a Testo camera if they were not so dam ugly and fragile.
    I tried the Testo because they were supposed to have a super huge image with amazing quality. Just didn't feel right. The Flir I took those images with usually stays in the Gray palette, we do tons of Insurance and Public works, work with it and Gray is the preferred method in which to receive their images.
    Believe it or not Ive never tried the OS X lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I tried the Testo because they were supposed to have a super huge image with amazing quality. Just didn't feel right. The Flir I took those images with usually stays in the Gray palette, we do tons of Insurance and Public works, work with it and Gray is the preferred method in which to receive their images.
    Believe it or not Ive never tried the OS X lol...
    What model?
    Testo IR cameras look funny.
    What model did you try?
    What was your experience?
    Testo have high standards are are a great company from what I hear.

Fluke acquired a patent for supper imaging. Speed imaging overlapped then synced on one thermogram image. Doubles the resolution.
    Hopefully they sell the software like Testo. Great resource.
    Short sighted if Fluke restricts that software for certain high end cameras. Testo allows anyone to purchase and download the software for their IR cameras.

Thermal Imaging Camera is one of the best tool for home inspection

Quote Originally Posted by Smith William View Post
    Thermal Imaging Camera is one of the best tool for home inspection
    Only when combined with extensive training and a touch of common sense.

I get a few calls each year asking me to come out and find the "moisture intrusion" issues found by others who waved around a thermal imaging camera and immediately condemned the roof or some other building component as the culprit.

One of these calls from a couple of years ago was from a builder who has a reputation for doing excellent work, and who continually monitors his subs to insure that they do a good job. The metal roof on a newly constructed residence was called out for leaks along the entire north wall. The builder and roofer went through the attic and could find absolutely no indication of moisture. The builder sent me the photos from the inspector who initially called out the thermal anomalies noted as roof leaks. There were a series of thermal anomalies along the wall in three rooms, all at the roof/wall intersection at an exterior wall, the anomalies were evenly spaced and the size, shape and temperature difference were all uniform.

On my arrival I measured the spacing of soffit vents at this exterior wall, noted temps at the exterior of the residence and of the interior of the attic space near the soffit. No rain had fallen for about 1-2 weeks prior to my inspection. When photos were taken at the interior with the TIC the thermal anomalies were present, and the spacing was the exact spacing as the soffit vents, the temperature of the anomalies was nearly the same as the ambient temps at the exterior, and the areas around the thermal anomalies was the same as the measured temps in the attic space.

Holes were cut into ceilings at the areas of 5 of the identified thermal anomalies, insulation was removed from the area and tested for elevated moisture content. Drywall (interior of room and back side) was also sampled with a moisture meter. Framing members were accessed in the identified areas and were tested for elevated moisture content. No elevated moisture content was found in drywall, insulation or structural framing members.

The sale of a new home was delayed (original buyer walked when the builder was not able to find leaks that did not exist), the builder & roofer spent 3-5 days crawling through the attic looking for moisture intrusion, and I spent a full day inspecting and documenting the lack of any moisture intrusion issues. I have spoken with the inspector who originally called out the moisture intrusion and attempted to convince him that some training was needed prior to performing a home inspection with the aid of a TIC, the last I heard he was still using the TIC on every inspection and still had no formal training...

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

NO infrared camera see moisture.

EVERY infrared camera sees temperature differences ... that's all.

It is up to the inspector to be able to determine what those temperature differences mean ... and ... usually ... it is "temperature" related (air leakage) ... not moisture related (not water leakage).

At least that is based on my experience, having started using infrared cameras back in 2004 (as I recall, I was the first inspector in the state of Florida to have one and to get certified).

Albeit, I have only used one a few times since I retired as I sold the infrared camera I had when I retired.

Infrared cameras have their places ... in the right hands, as Alton said.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I concur with Jerry. Energy signature/temperature readings.

Quantitative and qualitative readings & images.
    My understanding, a qualitative image would be the thermogram combined/together with, an image of a moisture meter reading, MC/MD scale.

I use Fluke Ti100 9Hz, a Ti300 60Hz, Tramex MRHIII/Delmhorst TechCheck Pro. Also use a ambient moisture meters.

Sometimes, it's amazing what you find with IR, but it is just another tool in our bag of tools.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Sometimes, it's amazing what you find with IR, but it is just another tool in our bag of tools.
    I prefer a hard case for our camera lol.......

Mike Pagozalski- Florida Home Inspector #HI9519, Radon Measurement Technician R2530, Exterior Design Institute #FL131, ITC Level II Thermographer #150761
    Tallahassee's Home Inspection Team