Default Disconnect switch location photos.

I see many new houses with the AC disconnect switch installed directly behind the condensers. Some cities enforce this and some don't. I believe this configuration violates two codes:

§ 2009 IRC 3405.1
    § 2011 NEC 110.26A

Also, I see many power company electrical meters installed behind the fence and in tight areas. This meter can be read electronically from a distance and does not require a meter reader actually look at the meter. Not sure what the space requirements are on the electric meter. The utility company was not clear on this.IMG_0379.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Disconnect switch location photos.

No harm in pointing this out, but I don't see a big problem with this. I don't report it. I do report many things other inspectors don't report. I think sometimes inspectors take too much time looking for technical violations of codes and not enough time actually inspecting.

Reported to Brian

Gene,

You are correct - 30 inch wide (minimum ) by 36 inches in front of working space is required for each disconnect and the meter.

The working spaces may overlap each other - one 30 inch wide working space may work for the three disconnects.

Write it up. Make a big deal about it. Start asking your AHJ building officials and inspectors (asking 'doesn't this code section - have it with you - mean that working space is required in front of electrical equipment such as disconnects?' ... when they say 'Yes' you show them the photo).

May take awhile for them to come around to enforce it, but that works and not only leads to your goal, but it also leads AHJ gaining respect for the home inspectors who do that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    No harm in pointing this out, but I don't see a big problem with this. I don't report it. I do report many things other inspectors don't report. I think sometimes inspectors take too much time looking for technical violations of codes and not enough time actually inspecting.

Hi Mark...

Another thought is 7 years down the road if the house is sold and the new buyers' inspector writes it up, I don't want the Sellers wondering "..why didn't our inspector not tell us about this?.."

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Hi Mark...

Another thought is 7 years down the road if the house is sold and the new buyers' inspector writes it up, I don't want the Sellers wondering "..why didn't our inspector not tell us about this?.."
    Especially when the HVAC technician's spouse's attorney arrives and your client calls you for your attorney's number ... 'why didn't you tell us about that' becomes real important.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Mark, thats a very astute comment, can't agree more!

I guess it comes down to whether the inspector is inspecting or just doing walk throughs ... or that each inspector must decide for themselves what not to inspect?

Walking by something like that and not writing it up is just putting one's own name on the list of defendants.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I see several answers, so I thought I would throw my hat in the ring.

An inspector's safe working clearances are clearances for the client.
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?

For the client:
    1: What came first, the safety switch disconnect or the condenser?
    If the condenser came first, I would be on a higher alert when going my assessment of the electrical there on out.
    2: For the AJH? What came first?

Take time and reflect.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Take time and reflect.
    did & it didn't get any better
    btw i don't believe 1 trade can alter or obstruct another trade & create a violation
    1, 2, 3, 4....wrongs will never make it right
    Attachment 33111
    worth repeating
    Write it up. Make a big deal about it. Start asking your AHJ building officials and inspectors (asking 'doesn't this code section - have it with you - mean that working space is required in front of electrical equipment such as disconnects?' ... when they say 'Yes' you show them the photo).

May take awhile for them to come around to enforce it, but that works and not only leads to your goal, but it also leads AHJ gaining respect for the home inspectors who do that.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good