Default Is this normal ?

Hey guys I came across this in a basement I inspected today. Two different spots in the basement where sump pumps are with radon mitigation piping coming out of each well. The pvc was connected to the cap which both areas the caps were off. Is this normal mitigation technique to share a sump pump well with a radon pipe or am I missing something completely which would seem more logical considering how new I am. Thanks for your help!!!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is this normal ?

No, not missing anything.

Idea is that the sump well allows access below the slab. The sump pump tub has to be sealed and the cap/top also has to be sealed, as well as anything coming through cap.

Looks like some one accessed the pump and didn't close and seal it up.

I concur.
    Sump Water Catch Basins require lids, with or without radon mitigation device.

As to your radon mitigation question.
    I do not do radon but read further.
    To mitigate radon gas under a slab, weep sump basins would be a solution, but do not quote me on that.

Weep sump basin. A series of holes manufactured in the sides of the sump water catch basins.
    Aggregate surround the basins. The depth of the basin being the lever to "catch water" before it can weep through the footing, foundation, slab floodplain. I can imagine radon gas would enter the catch basin as well.

Hope that helps.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

looks unprofessional install. lid should be sealed, pressure indicator missing on radon pipe, and looks like its damaged in the 2nd photo. Is the fan installed outside or in attic? Where do the pipes end?
    EDIT:
    I realize I didn't answer one of the questions, yes it is very normal to have radon piping exit at sump pump basin so it can draw soil gases from the perimeter drain that wraps around the basement walls below the slab ideally with sealed construction joint at slab to wall. The lid must be sealed and there should be a pressure gauge on the pipe to show that the fan is working but without seeing the entire pipe system including fan, we don't know.

Also, in new construction, around my area I see passive radon pipes installed (which can have future fans installed if needed) into the sealed sump basins and labeled for radon by the builder but judging by the framing I'd say the house is older.

FYI I doubt these are ejector pumps as someone else had guessed with the way the discharge pipes run along the exterior walls like most sum pumps. The one basin in the 1st picture with an extra pipe cut off in it also looks strange but cant see why it is there unless the sump pump discharge is disconnected.

Anyway, bottom line is it is wrong and looks like a poor attempt at adding a radon mitigation system..

Last edited by biglebowski; 12-16-2016 at 08:05 PM.

I am not a certified radon mitigator. Unless you are a certified installer, I would suggest you refer the client to consult with one as a routine recommendation.

How many PVC pipes exit the sump pumps? I only see two. One would be the drain pipe. In a non-radon designed system, you might also have a plumbing vent, but not typical for sump (though you would for sewer ejection pumps). Are there any bathrooms or laundry that would be draining into this pump?

In a radon mitigation system, you normally have a fan to help suck air from below the slab or floor and push it out and away from the home. It looks like there is only one vent pipe in the picture. Is there a fan somewhere that pushes the air out and away from the home?

The handwriting on the PVC pipe might just be someone's way of telling you that the plumbing vent pipe carries sewer gas, and also possible radon gas. A powered fan would make a difference in how I define it as a radon system (you don't normally add a powered vent fan to plumbing vents).