Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: Is IR making any money for anyone

is not the end all and do all inspection tool. All of the tools we've used in the past are required to correctly verify what the imager may locate
    Barry:

Thanks for being truthful. Every other post I've read about these whizbangs purports them to be the panacea of the century. I still personally cannot justify the expense. $1500 and I might bite. This fish has been around the pond a few too many times to fall for bankrolling every upstart gizmo inspection tool company.

Aaron

Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
    All,

I have had my camera for one year. I get a lot of inspections because I have the IR camera (makes me money). I use my camera at almost every inspection in high risk or suspect areas (full scans cost additional) and I find a lot of probelms (leaking plumbing/shower pans, basement leaking in finished basements, electrical overheating, missing insulation, etc.) that you visual only inspectors will not find (clients and realtors alike are impressed). I also perform many infrared defect inspections for homeowners (not just home buyers - makes me money). Within the next 3+- years I believe people Will not hire you unless you have an IR camera.

My two cents.
    Once you break out your camera you had better find EVERYTHNG or you will be found negligent in court. In my opinion you are asking for trouble when you voluntarily go beyond the SOP for your state. I used a IR camera in my previous life so I know how valuable a tool it can be but at this time it is not needed for a HI in NC until they are no longer a visual inspection.

Aaron Miller Guest

Once you break out your camera you had better find EVERYTHNG or you will be found negligent in court. In my opinion you are asking for trouble when you voluntarily go beyond the SOP for your state. I used a IR camera in my previous life so I know how valuable a tool it can be but at this time it is not needed for a HI in NC until they are no longer a visual inspection.
    James:

No truer words have been spoken. I have sat on the plaintiff's side of the equation more than once when the "thermographer" was on the hot seat attempting to explain why he did not find the laundry list of things that I found when I inspected behind him.

You are asking for huge trouble when employing any device that exceed the normal standard of care in a home inspection. I cannot say that often enough. Either take the hint or take the hit. Hope you saved enough on your discounted whizbang to pay the E&O deductible.

Aaron

Ron Bibler Guest

If we had 10 inspectors inspecting one house each one would find something the the other nine missed. we are only human.

We all just do our best at what we do. Ive been inspecting for some 30 years and if i have one thing that i have added to my understanding is i just may miiss something some day. A one hour scan is not the same as a full on imaging that can take 8 hr to do on a house. the proper way to do an IR scan is to let the buyer have there option 8 hr at $ 185.per hr or a walk by limited scan for $200. Limited to what you find on the day of the inspection. Your problem Aaron is you are only looking at this one way. Open your eyes. IR is not a bad thing.

This is like The blind leading the Blind. Open your eyes.

Love ya!

Best

Ron

Aaron Miller Guest

Open your eyes.
    Ron:

Your market my be replete with folks willing to spend $1480 with you for an "all day sucker" scan of their homes. That is simply not the case here. Additionally, your limited scan option may float with California laws. It will not work here in Texas for CYA.

I'm not talking theory here, just cold hard facts. And, I never once said that IR does not have some limited uses in residential inspection. Return to my original post and you will find that I am saying it is WAY OVERSOLD AND OVERRATED by most of the folks who seem to have fallen into this trap.

You many think you're capable of opening my eyes. Maybe after 33 years in the business I could learn a new trick or two from you. Maybe, I doubt it. But as for IR touting and puffing, my eyes have seen the light. I've watched two "thermographers" go down in flames to the tune of $350,000 and $760,000 respectively over their wonderful little gadgets.

It's easy for you to talk trash. You don't work where I do. If you did your cavalier attitude might land you on the opposite side of litigation from me. Then, my friend, we would see whose eyes needed opening.

Cordially,

Aaron

Ron Bibler Guest

Aaron i have no reserve that you are one sharp cookie of an inspector. Im just a sun shine boy from the west coast.
    I dont think i could work in Texas. It would take me to long to find my way around the laws you stated. Old Dog new trick thing.
    What i sell my Buyers is the best inspection in my area.

Im sure you do the same. Its good to understand that you find a place for IR in the inspection industry. you never stated that kind of a position before. So your in Texas and im in Calif. Its a big country.

Love ya.

Best

Ron

Aaron Miller Guest

I dont think i could work in Texas
    Ron:

I couldn't work in California either. Could not afford a house there . . .

Aaron

Ron Bibler Guest

Aaron its a wash. home inspection start around $ 375.00 and then up in the northbay. most of the inspectors get 2 a day. homes are starting around 500K 3/2 ONE 2 CAR. NICE AREA.

I did look at Texas one time but that was not the place for me.

Best

Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12