Default Obvious Newb question?

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not I'm assuming yes but I came across this sump pump in a basement the other day. The hole made is way bigger than the sump itself so how the hell does the water actually get into the well? Wouldn't it just poor into the sides around where the actual pump is when the basement floor gets water in it? Or am I missing something (I'm assuming so)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Obvious Newb question?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Scheuerer View Post
    I don't know if this is a stupid question or not I'm assuming yes but I came across this sump pump in a basement the other day. The hole made is way bigger than the sump itself so how the hell does the water actually get into the well? Wouldn't it just poor into the sides around where the actual pump is when the basement floor gets water in it? Or am I missing something (I'm assuming so)
    Hi Aaron,

Part of the function of a sump is to drain the soil of excess water. What you describe would be fine for surface water, but would not address water in the soil. A sump pump typically starts with an oversized hole. A permeable container (in this case, it looks like they used chimney flue tile) is installed to form a sump. Drainage rock is used to backfill between the walls of the new sump and the cut soil, as well as at the bottom of the sump, creating a drainage plane. The gravel also helps to reduce the amount of soil that gets into the pump. Water from the surrounding soil will enter the sump from the bottom.

The included diagram is an ideal installation. Typically, the drainage piping is not installed, at least in my area (no basements).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Hi Aaron,

Part of the function of a sump is to drain the soil of excess water. What you describe would be fine for surface water, but would not address water in the soil. A sump pump typically starts with an oversized hole. A permeable container (in this case, it looks like they used chimney flue tile) is installed to form a sump. Drainage rock is used to backfill between the walls of the new sump and the cut soil, as well as at the bottom of the sump, creating a drainage plane. The gravel also helps to reduce the amount of soil that gets into the pump. Water from the surrounding soil will enter the sump from the bottom.

The included diagram is an ideal installation. Typically, the drainage piping is not installed, at least in my area (no basements).

wow awesome thank you so much!!!

That tile does not appear to be glazed and water will soak through the sides of the tile. Also there appears to be a plate under the pump. It is also possible that there is a crack in the bottom of the pit allowing ground water in. Also drainage tube from water softener back wash?