Default efflorescence / hydraulic action question.

Looking for a term to use to describe flowering minerals on what appears to be a dry surface.
    Wicking is the only narrative I could come up with.

My hypothesis: hydraulic action leading to flowering mineral staining, efflorescence.

Recently Remodeled home. >< 18 months.
    It appears the home was completely gutted and the first level wall layout changed.
    What was original, footing, foundation, some of the structure.
    It appears the lot was not sloped to municipal standards.

The image is from the utility room slab.
    The area of efflorescence extends from the sump basin, located at the rear of the property, towards the front of the home and is roughly >3' feet long..
    Size of staining: Roughly 2.5' wide starting at the basin, >< 12" at the furthest point >< 3' feet away.

Note the flower minerals on the new 2" x 4" inch concealing the subfloor joists.
    The flowering minerals are on the concrete as well as forming on the 2" x 4" inch wood object.

The wood object is visually stainless from moisture YET the flowering of minerals continues off the concrete flooring to the wood joist.
    I decided not to utilize my moisture meter/s as ot to compromise the small sampling of flowering minerals on the wood.
    I repeat, there are/where no visual clues on the wood moisture was/is being wicked thought the wood. I would at least expect to see saturation and atmospheric grim stains.

As well, the utility room was under negative pressure. The door would close if left 12" inches open. you could feel the draft entering the utility room. I should have used my smoke pencil and taken pictures to use as evidence for my HVAC reporting narrative.
    I also hypothesized that negative pressure in the mechanical room is mechanically drawing any bulk water moisture in contact with the slab in the room but did not put this in the report.

efflorescence.JPG

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Default Re: efflorescence / hydraulic action question.

Localized damp earth beneath area and/or water migrating to sump pit. No staining likely due to water evaporating quickly enough not to create wet spot, but enough to bring minerals salts to surface.

My best guess.

grandpa said
    i'll give you a buck two-fifty to prove any of that

dad said
    you try so hard to impress with your big words & when that doesn't work you try to baffle with your BS

numerous atty/clients say
    don't try to talk above your 8th grade audience...many college grads today score below this level

using Flesch–Kincaid & spell check as a guide
    i try to write all report narratives so that others can clearly understand & especially before posting on the interweb

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post

don't try to talk above your 8th grade audience...many college grads today score below this level

How about,
    "Efflorescence is a cosmetic issue, but it indicates a potential moisture problem." (source to be posted)

Robert,
    What did you association suggest ?

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 01-03-2017 at 05:26 AM.

This is how my report looks and reads.
    Discover Horizon Reporti.

INTERIOR:
    Poured concrete
    No identifiable issues with the concrete foundation

BASEMENT \ Wet basements - corrective action noted 31.
    Condition: Prior repairs

RECOMMENDATIONS: Recommend a licensed basement water control company evalaute the presence of blooming efflorescence in the basement.

Suspect; hydraulic pressure.

Implication(s): Chance of water damage to contents, finishes and/or structure

Task: Further evaluation
    Improve: Time: Immediate.

In this case I recommended a water control company and not a water management companies.

Garry, InspectionNews is owned by InterNACHI from what I was believe.
    Your point being?
    If you are asking whether I posted this question on InterNACHI members message board, no I did not. I would imagine KISS (keep it simple student) would be the advised. Usually is when conditions like this pop up.

When I arrived not many discussed masonry, brickwork, concrete foundations.
    I put up with ridicule explaining, a chimney crown is not a chimney cap.
    The chimney cap protects the flue. A wood burning or solid fuel fireplace should have a chimney cap and spark arrestor.
    Hope that helps.

Sorry for the edits.

Last edited by ROBERT YOUNG; 01-04-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    grandpa said
    i'll give you a buck two-fifty to prove any of that

dad said
    you try so hard to impress with your big words & when that doesn't work you try to baffle with your BS

using Flesch–Kincaid & spell check as a guide
    i try to write all report narratives so that others can clearly understand & especially before posting on the interweb
    Does that advice include use of capitalization, commas, open and closed quotation marks, and sentence structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    How about,
    "Efflorescence is a cosmetic issue, but it indicates a potential moisture problem." (source to be posted)

Robert,
    What did you association suggest ?
    Thanks.Excellent narrative.

I do not post the condition there.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Does that advice include use of capitalization, commas, open and closed quotation marks, and sentence structure?
    Morning Ray.
    I am happy Barry posted.
    I slept on it.

Last week in court I was explaining to The Judge, The Highly Respectable Your Honor, technically about 120/240 low voltage circuitry. I was called as witness by past clients.

I was explain the defects noted in my report from memory seeing she forgot the report I asked her to bring.
    I explained what color wires represent in the panel.
    When I got to the neutral and the function it performs the defendants translators objected heavily saying I was being to technical and the defendant, defending his installations, did not understand what I was saying.

The judge pounded for 2 minutes, then asked me in plain english, or layman's language, so the wiring was a mess Mr. Young?
    I replied, yes. a complete mess. The installer did not understand the basic fundamentals and what color the wires represent.

2 minutes later the case concluded to everyone surprise. From my understand they expected several more days of cross examination to continue.

To me, Mr. Adair's family, father and grandfather used common logic which under normal circumstances is Sound Advice. KISS remember ray. You told me KISS Robert many times.

Wishing you all the best my friend.
    Thanks for your concern.
    Ray, your the king mate.

Off to work.
    Booked for the next 8 days.