Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

The large majority of slab-on-ground foundations will develop what are called corner cracks or wedge cracks. The name comes from the fact that these cracks develop at or very close to the outside corners of the foundation and frequently form a wedge at the corner.
    These cracks do not indicate anything unusual about the foundation.

This is a concrete repair and not a foundation repair.
    How do I write it?
    Thanks.

1-
    The foundation appears to be performing the function intended

2-

Structural movement and/or settling noted, however, the foundation is supporting the structure at this time

3 -

Signs of structural movement noted, suggest that an expert in this field be consulted for further evaluation of the structure and to provide suggestions as to what, if any, corrective actions should be taken

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Help Please

Corner pops (cracks) were observed at the foundation corners and are a common condition to observe with slab on grade foundations. These are typically created by thermal expansion of the brick veneer and are not per many Structural Engineer reports I've witnessed considered structurally significant. Cosmetic improvements can be undertaken, but is not required at this time.

Kevin Barre Guest

Default Re: Help Please

Just to amplify on what Rick said, the corner"pops" are typical, and are due to the bonding between the brick veneer and the foundation. They generally don't extend any deeper into the foundation than the brick ledge itself and are of no real consequence. The brick expands as it gets hot; the concrete doesn't want to and therefore gets pushed out at the ends. If the proper flashings are installed, this won't happen. Besides controlling water, they act as a slip joint and keep the bonding from occurring. Around here, I see very few monolithic foundations. But those I do see rarely have the details done correctly--including flashing and weep holes.