Thread: receptacle type

Default receptacle type

What type of appliance would normally be used with this receptacle? It was installed for the location of a stackable washer / dryer. I'm not use to seeing this type for a dryer connection. I know it should at least be a 4 wire receptacle.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: receptacle type

Older 30 amp NEMA 6-30r, 3 wire receptacle. In the past commonly used as a receptacle for a clothes dryer.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Depending on its physical size, it's probably a 30 amp 240 volt receptacle.

No 4th wire was required for a dryer until the 1993/96 NEC.

Did you check the breaker rating? If the breaker was a 30 amp, the receptacle is okay - however, if the breaker was a 50 amp the receptacle needs to be at least a 50 amp too.

A stackable dryer may not need a neutral for the dryer as that may only supply the element, the controls may be supplied by the 120 volt circuit.

To clarify, by "stackable" I am not referring to two separate units which may be "stacked" one on top of the other, I am referring to one appliance made together as one unit with the dryer (usually the dryer) above the washer.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 01-30-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added clarification
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

30 amp breaker.

Thanks for the replies gentleman