Question Self closing door

Is Self closing door required in the private houses? They are pretty dangerous for residents - especially for elderly, especially with osteoarthritis or other medical issues when a person needs longer time to pass the door.
    Does anyone know how I can help people with it to allowed them to use a regular door instead of self closing door.
    I know it need to be self closing to for fire prevention - but how often is it? but an elderly person can hurt himself every day by using such door! t should make some common sense.
    Any one can advise or comment?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Self closing door

A self-closing door is only required between the garage and the living space, no other door is required to be self-closing ... in a one- and two-family dwelling or in townhouses.

In apartments and condos, the door(s) which open to a common area need to be self-closing as that is part of the rating for rated doors.

A person who requires more time could install a regular door closer instead of spring hinges, or they could install an electric opener where they push a button to open the door - those give even more time before self-closing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Question Re: Self closing door

Jerry,

Thank you so much for your response- excellent ,as always.

Yes , it is only one door - but it is the most popular door for this family. I want to help them. They will have a real problem with this " self closing door " . To add difficulties - this door goes to the garage and then it does have steps down ! So , it is a real problem for them.
    However , they told me that inspector requested to make it as " self closing " as per code ( it was what he said ). This family asked my advise - how they can skip it andleave it as a normal regular door.
    We all respect the code - but this self closing door does not fit every family. It could potentially be very harmful , as an example for this family of elderly with advanced osteoarthritis.
    Any advise I could give this family to help then to pass final inspection without this " self closing door" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    A self-closing door is only required between the garage and the living space, no other door is required to be self-closing ... in a one- and two-family dwelling or in townhouses.

In apartments and condos, the door(s) which open to a common area need to be self-closing as that is part of the rating for rated doors.

A person who requires more time could install a regular door closer instead of spring hinges, or they could install an electric opener where they push a button to open the door - those give even more time before self-closing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Gaspy View Post
    To add difficulties - this door goes to the garage and then it does have steps down !
    IF the door swings into the garage (unlikely and not often done, but this is done at times) then a landing on the garage side is required, as wide as the door is wide and as deep in the direction of travel as the stair is wide, 3 feet minimum.

IF the door swings into the living space (which is most common), then the landing is inside the living space and the landing is not required at the garage because there is an exception for that, however, nothing prohibits installing a landing on the garage side (if there is space for the landing).

However , they told me that inspector requested to make it as " self closing " as per code ( it was what he said ). This family asked my advise - how they can skip it andleave it as a normal regular door.
    They can't ... at least - they should not be able to pass final inspection without a self-closing door as that would be irresponsible on the inspector's part and the AHJ's part.

We all respect the code - but this self closing door does not fit every family. It could potentially be very harmful , as an example for this family of elderly with advanced osteoarthritis.
    They are asking to trade off a known safety risk and thus a requirement for a "convenience" (which is what a non-self-closing door would be), and that is not going to happen.

Any advise I could give this family to help then to pass final inspection without this " self closing door" ?
    This, recommended in my other response:
    - Residential Automatic Door Opener - Model 2300 - Residential Handicap Door Opener - Power Access Corporation

The residential codes require self-closing, this should address that issue quite well and be acceptable to all parties.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

While self closing doors were very common in CA, they are pretty much non existent in my part of TN. The AHJ don't seem to care about this part of the code.

Why not either adjust the closer that is there at present or change out the closer to one that is adjustable.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 02-12-2017 at 07:56 AM.

2014 Florida Residential Code 302.5.1 requires the door from attached garage to home must be a 'self-closing' door.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie ONeill View Post
    2014 Florida Residential Code 302.5.1 requires the door from attached garage to home must be a 'self-closing' door.
    Thanks for including the code,will check it.

I saw this one earlier in the year but got busy. Am I missing the part where the self closing is required? I thought that was removed from the 2009 IRC, or earlier? I just read 302.5.1 again, and there is no mention of a self closing device. The 20 minute, etc. is there, but nothing about a closer.

I do know some states have kept it in place, including mine, via a list of state code amendments, along with the 5/8 Type X for the common wall, but I do not see it in the general IRC. Is it listed somewhere else in the 2009 IRC?

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I saw this one earlier in the year but got busy. Am I missing the part where the self closing is required? I thought that was removed from the 2009 IRC, or earlier? I just read 302.5.1 again, and there is no mention of a self closing device. The 20 minute, etc. is there, but nothing about a closer.

I do know some states have kept it in place, including mine, via a list of state code amendments, along with the 5/8 Type X for the common wall, but I do not see it in the general IRC. Is it listed somewhere else in the 2009 IRC?
    It was omitted in 2009 IRC but is back in 2012 IRC and is included in 2015 IRC.

R302.5.1 Opening protection.
    Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1 3/8 inches (35 mm) thick, or 20- minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing device.

Alton Darty
    ATN Services, LLC
    www.arinspections.com

Got it, thanks. We haven't moved past 2009 code cycle yet locally.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

A self closing door is required between an attached garage and residence but I don't know of any other requirement...The hinges with an integral closer seems to be less forceful (and adjustable) than the commercial type closer. Good Luck
    Gary V.
    AIA, Building Official

- - - Updated - - -

A self closing door is required between an attached garage and residence but I don't know of any other requirement...The hinges with an integral closer seems to be less forceful (and adjustable) than the commercial type closer. Good Luck
    Gary V.
    AIA, Building Official

The self

- - - Updated - - -

The self

- - - Updated - - -

The self