Default New Construction framing

New construction framing carpentry in Prosper Texas. Client asked me if it was "up to code?".

Well,....I guess it depends on which country's codes you are referring to.

IMG_0624.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: New Construction framing

Gene,

Looks like the directional signs have faded away:
    Nicaragua 2000 km ->
    <- Mexico City 1500 km ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is typical of most AHJ in & around the D/FW market.
    Unless identified & corrected during a phase inspection, their good blind eye is turned & it passes to be put on the tax rolls as improved property earning more capital for the munis to waste on less than forthright employees.
    After all most can't afford these shacks.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    This is typical of most AHJ in & around the D/FW market.
    Unless identified & corrected during a phase inspection, their good blind eye is turned & it passes to be put on the tax rolls as improved property earning more capital for the munis to waste on less than forthright employees.
    After all most can't afford these shacks.
    Gee Barry, the Appointed Housing Jerks I am familiar with never even bother to look; would not see if they looked, could not tell what they saw, and would not give a shi* if they could tell there was a problem.

The Texas (and maybe everywhere) AHJs are politicians who are in a position between the developers/builders and the mayors/city councils. What pleases the developer/builders gets the mayors/city councils elected/reelected. What the mayors/city councils say, must happen. The AHJ's perceived authority is that which he is allowed by those who appoint him.

Even the straightest arrow would be bent, or fired, after one day on the job. In effect, they are merely tax collectors involved in a dog an pony show for the amusement of the taxpayers.

Texas Inspector
    http://www.texasinspector.com
    What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety, he makes up in clarity.

Is it really that bad or is this just a case of temporary bracing that never got removed?
    Well, even for temporary that is pretty flaky work.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

This is like a verbal quote taken out of context.

No clue as to what these pieces are for. I agree with Kogel. It looks like stiffening applied to some vertical bracing. Not good looking and never intended to be.

Unlikely as anything to be called out as defective. I do call out sloppy when I see it, but sloppy is often not defective.

- - - Updated - - -

This is like a verbal quote taken out of context.

No clue as to what these pieces are for. I agree with Kogel. It looks like stiffening applied to some vertical bracing. Not good looking and never intended to be.

Unlikely as anything to be called out as defective. I do call out sloppy when I see it, but sloppy is often not defective.

Wow! That's a seriously cynical view of AHJs there in Dallas. It's been a little over 30 years since I did construction in the Dallas metro, but I found the AHJs I dealt with to be more diligent than your description. On the other hand, I agree that an enthusiastic or heavy handed code enforcer had trouble keeping his/her job when I built in Dallas.
    In the Denver metro, I see AHJs miss things, but I don't see a pattern of wearing blinders like you describe. What drives me nuts, is the wide discretion that our area AHJs have in adopting and interpreting the NEC. What's good in Aurora, isn't allowed in Denver, and isn't any kind of concern in Centennial.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Wow! That's a seriously cynical view of AHJs there in Dallas. It's been a little over 30 years since I did construction in the Dallas metro, but I found the AHJs I dealt with to be more diligent than your description. On the other hand, I agree that an enthusiastic or heavy handed code enforcer had trouble keeping his/her job when I built in Dallas.
    In the Denver metro, I see AHJs miss things, but I don't see a pattern of wearing blinders like you describe. What drives me nuts, is the wide discretion that our area AHJs have in adopting and interpreting the NEC. What's good in Aurora, isn't allowed in Denver, and isn't any kind of concern in Centennial.
    My biggest complaint, other than an apparent lack of knowledge on the part of many of the municipal inspectors is the AHJs' selective code enforcement. Specious opinions d.b.a. interpretations abound. Where I went to school an interpretation was only needed when something was arcane or difficult to understand. The IRC, IECC, and NEC are written in English. I do not need an interpretation of my native language.

I was a builder for 20 years, even registered under TRCC, when Texas had a brain concussion and decided to actually regulate builders for 15 minutes. And I've been a full-time inspector since 1997, ICC-certified RCI since 2000. I've been doing legal consulting work since 2001 and am a Forensis, Inc.-vetted expert witness. So, I think I have come by my realistic (what you call cynical) opinion of the city boys honestly.

They have the same BS approach to the NEC here as they do where you are. Even though TDLR mandates installations to the latest published version, the AHJs seem to know better than the NFPA.

The skilled labor shortage in the building industry is not limited to the tradesmen. It goes all the way up the ladder to the top tire-biters.

Texas Inspector

I think in general, the inspections are short and cursory, so can miss some things, like that tower of scrap in the attic. That area was covered in the framing inspection. After the drywall, nobody from the muni or city goes back to the attic.

I just spent a year building an addition on my house, so I got to see 5 inspections of my property by the muni inspectors. I asked humble questions and was a good listener. My building plan received a few red ink corrections, but at least my drawings were accepted. I built to the code for our area and got approval for occupancy which was my goal. Over all, fair evaluation but not particularly thorough.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I think in general, the inspections are short and cursory, so can miss some things, like that tower of scrap in the attic. That area was covered in the framing inspection. After the drywall, nobody from the muni or city goes back to the attic.

I just spent a year building an addition on my house, so I got to see 5 inspections of my property by the muni inspectors. I asked humble questions and was a good listener. My building plan received a few red ink corrections, but at least my drawings were accepted. I built to the code for our area and got approval for occupancy which was my goal. Over all, fair evaluation but not particularly thorough.
    In my city the AHJ requires a permit and inspection for water heater replacements. During the past 17 years I have replaced both of my water heaters. I insisted that the plumbers pull permits and they did. In each instance I had to take the time to call the AHJ to get them to come out and inspect. Both times they left a green tag attached to my front door, while I was at home, never having bothered to inspect the units. This is even more aggravating considering that I am on the Building and Fire Codes Board.

A final municipal inspection in most of the 65 cities I cover amounts to showing up, checking the main distribution panel cover for the HERS certificate, tossing a green tag on the kitchen counter and flouncing out the door ever onward in search of 5pm.

One city which shall remain unnamed but lies in the northern DFW suburbs actually gives certain (perhaps all) builders a stack of green tags so that they can self-evaluate. There could be more of this happening, but in that town I have personally witnessed it on more than one occasion.

But hey, some will call me cynical.

Texas Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post

But hey, some will call me cynical.
    Many times, cynicism is deserved and if you're cynical, you arrive there with justification.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Henderson View Post
    Many times, cynicism is deserved and if you're cynical, you arrive there with justification.
    Here is a perfect example: Pre-drywall phase inspection. Understand this has passed the city final during my inspection AHJ walked in and left the precompleted green tag in the builder pack & left, he never looked at anything required during this phase.
    XYZ Plumbing has an obviously broken gas gauge that they're probably using & have used on who knows how many homes.
    The gauge clearly shows it is pressurized yet the gas line is uncapped at the future fireplace valve.
    You or anyone else can be the judge.
    I often find gas leaks in the "finished piping" wherever readily accessible leak detection can be performed.
    pressure test malfunction.JPG pressure test malfunction proof.JPG

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 06-15-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Understand this has passed the city final during my inspection AHJ walked in and left the precompleted green tag in the builder pack & left, he never looked at anything required during this phase.
    MUNICIPAL INSPECTION = DOG AND PONY SHOW

Texas Inspector

XYZ Plumbing has an obviously broken gas gauge that they're probably using & have used on who knows how many homes.
    The gauge clearly shows it is pressurized yet the gas line is uncapped at the future fireplace valve.
    You or anyone else can be the judge.
    I often find gas leaks in the "finished piping" wherever readily accessible leak detection can be performed.
    pressure test malfunction.JPG pressure test malfunction proof.JPG
    While finding faulty pressure gauges is common (when I did code inspections, I would check for holding pressure, then let pressure out to verify that the pressure gauge working ... all too many were indeed 'stuck'), then I would inspect the gas piping installation so any other items could be corrected and inspected when I came back for the test re-inspection.

I have also found stuck pressure gauges on stub outs for gas grills which were not capped, thus there could not be any pressure on the gas piping as the gas piping was open to atmosphere.

However, that looks like an inline gas valve back there. Which may mean that may just be a piece of pipe for a stub out for drywall installers to cut out around for a gas valve for a fireplace, gas log set, or gas log starter.

And, no, I did not catch that was an inline gas valve myself, someone else pointed it out to me.

Zoom in and look closely at that 'tee' ... it is not a 'galvanized steel tee' ... it is a brass inline valve.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com