Default Beam pockets and protection from decay

Just checking to see if I'm interpreting R317.1.4 correctly. Protection from decay.

"The ends of wood girders entering exterior masonry or concrete walls having clearances of less than
    1/2" on tops, sides and ends"... Need to be treated wood.

As this relates to beam pockets where a girder enters a masonry foundation wall (in crawl space) and has virtually no clearance on either side (can't see the end). The girder should be comprised of treated wood or have 1/2" or more clearance on tops, sides, ends. Correct?

What if the girder has been wrapped in vinyl flashing but still virtually no clearance?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Randall Clark; 02-16-2017 at 07:28 PM. Reason: insert photo
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Beam pockets and protection from decay

Does not meet the code. However, if the vinyl prevents the transfer of moisture into the wood then it would meet the intent of the code in my opinion. It would be best to get approval of the local authority to be sure.

Default Re: Beam pockets and protection from decay

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglas View Post
    Does not meet the code. However, if the vinyl prevents the transfer of moisture into the wood then it would meet the intent of the code in my opinion. It would be best to get approval of the local authority to be sure.
    I had the same thought. Functional, yes. A variance may have been given by the AHJ and the buyer is seeking more info from the builder.