Thread: Bonding

RobertSmith Guest

Default Bonding

Last edited by RobertSmith; 12-20-2007 at 09:57 AM.
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Bonding

I would mention it (write it up) as 'something is apparently being bonded to the water piping system, possibly being intended to be bonded to ground - which it may or may not be, this indicates the lack of proper grounding where that *something* is plugged in', or wording to that effect. You will also want to state why you are referring to 'that something', i.e., because boxes are blocking that room.

You don't know that the water piping is "grounded", and, even if it is "grounded", it should not be used as a 'ground conductor', which, in this case, appears to be the intent.

Furthermore, if that is needed, then what is 'not grounded"? Is the house wired with a two-wire ungrounded wiring system?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I'm not sure if this is just my area but the cable and phone companies for years ran green wires and clamped them to hose bibs just like in your picture.

With all the new plastic plumbing they seem to have stopped doing it that way. That also could be some homeowner's poor attempt at 'grounding' an outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I'm not sure if this is just my area but the cable and phone companies for years ran green wires and clamped them to hose bibs just like in your picture.

With all the new plastic plumbing they seem to have stopped doing it that way.
    Glad they have stopped doing it that way, it was wrong from the very first one they did that way.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A guy I know recently had his overhead service drop damaged by a tree and his entire system was running through the cable company's ground... I think it was maybe a 12 gauge wire. Needless to say things weren't working too well.