Default Identify this item?

Who can tell me what this item is? This is a relatively new (2001) development. Public water and sewer. Each home in this end of street circle has one by their driveway or in their front yard (11 homes).

Westgate00017.jpg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Bob Kenney
    www.IndependentHomeInspectionMD.com
    Call or TEXT : 410-504-3751 rkenney74@comcast.net

Default Re: Identify this item?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kenney View Post
    Who can tell me what this item is? This is a relatively new (2001) development. Public water and sewer. Each home in this end of street circle has one by their driveway or in their front yard (11 homes).

Westgate00017.jpg
    vent cover
    https://store.aquatechnologygroup.co...yle-tank-vent/
    were these low lying properties compared to surrounding area?
    possibly lift stations under the covers

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 03-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Vent.
    Waste and road/rain water separate?

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

If it is for a lift station (for sewage) there should be a red light and alarm on it which signals to everyone that the lift station is not functioning.

Typically, the alarms are audible to the surrounding area (sometimes these audible alarms are not used - sometimes they are remote alarms which are connected to the systems monitoring station).

The red light is typically required to let everyone know to 'lookee here, there is even a sign below my red light, it tells you who to call' ... because $hit does not flow up hill on its own - ask any plumber, they will tell you that "$hit flows down hill" (that typically includes 'from the boss down to the worker in the trench').

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sewer grinder pump

www.1stproinspection.com

Certified Master Inspector
    Like Us On Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/1stproinspection/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    If it is for a lift station (for sewage) there should be a red light and alarm on it which signals to everyone that the lift station is not functioning.

Typically, the alarms are audible to the surrounding area (sometimes these audible alarms are not used - sometimes they are remote alarms which are connected to the systems monitoring station).

The red light is typically required to let everyone know to 'lookee here, there is even a sign below my red light, it tells you who to call' ... because $hit does not flow up hill on its own - ask any plumber, they will tell you that "$hit flows down hill" (that typically includes 'from the boss down to the worker in the trench').
    In my area, the alarm (and light) is always mounted on the side of the house. I have had to call the number a few times on vacant houses. They are usually pretty fast to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    In my area, the alarm (and light) is always mounted on the side of the house. I have had to call the number a few times on vacant houses. They are usually pretty fast to respond.
    Pumps/lift stations for individual houses - I've found the same as you.

He said that it was a relatively new development with public water and sewer, which lead me to suspect that may be a lift station for surrounding houses to (such as a cul-de-sac), which would put that for the public sewer system.

Anyways, that was my thinking.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Pumps/lift stations for individual houses - I've found the same as you.

He said that it was a relatively new development with public water and sewer, which lead me to suspect that may be a lift station for surrounding houses to (such as a cul-de-sac), which would put that for the public sewer system.

Anyways, that was my thinking.
    Reasonable thinking IMO.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

you should be willing to remove those tops if you are not sure what they are. just sayin.
    Could be grinder or pump up. now your client has to hire a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    you should be willing to remove those tops if you are not sure what they are. just sayin.
    Could be grinder or pump up. now your client has to hire a pro!
    I disagree about removing the cover! While I'm not afraid to check out things I have questions about, no way I am digging up the area around a 300+ lbs cover and trying to lift it to satisfy my curiosity. I'll research it. Also, it may or may not belong to the property and the owner may take umbrage to unauthorized access and I'm not messing with it without knowing more.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I disagree about removing the cover! While I'm not afraid to check out things I have questions about, no way I am digging up the area around a 300+ lbs cover and trying to lift it to satisfy my curiosity. I'll research it. Also, it may or may not belong to the property and the owner may take umbrage to unauthorized access and I'm not messing with it without knowing more.
    Agreed.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry...The full quote is;All you need to be a Plumber is **** flows downhill, payday is on Friday and don't bite your finger nails.<grin>

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

That clearly is a dohicky, or possibly a thingahmajig, depending on the length of the shaft. I recommend hitting it with a hammer. If it cracks, then it is a whatchamaycallit, and not a dohicky as originally thought.