Default Sediment Trap Requirement... Clarified?

So, another post from another bulletin board regarding plumbing.

There is a new line added to the requirement for sediment traps. The old section was 1211.8. The new section is 1212.8. When I see sediment traps, they are generally installed directly on the appliance, after the flexible connector in order to comply with the wording. The previous version of the UPC stated "as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical." They have added a line after that, which changes the meaning somewhat. Kind of frustrating, because those plumbing contractors who have been installing sediment traps have been doing it wrong (at least by the new wording).

Good grief.

From the 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code:

1212.8 Sediment Trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as a part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the appliance as practical, before the flex connector, where used at the time of appliance installation. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a capped nipple in the bottom outlet, as illustrated in Figure 1212.8, or other device recognized as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers, decorative appliances for installation in vented fireplaces, gas fireplaces, and outdoor grills shall not be required to be so equipped.

2015 Guide to Important Code Changes

Why It Changed
    This code section was added to clarify the language referring to sediment trap placement. Downstream of the shut-off and as close as practical to the appliance would not mean after the flex connector due to the sediment resting in the corrugated appliance connector before it had a chance to settle into the sediment trap. This would mean the entire connector would need to be replaced. By placing the drip leg prior to the connector, the sediment can settle into the bottom of the tee and actually be removed or serviced.

What It Means To Me
    First, the inspector and installer should ensure that a sediment trap is installed. Although the general requirement for a sediment trap is not new, it is often observed that they are not installed even though the code and many manufacturers require them. This is especially true in new residential construction. The gas coming from the utilities is usually acceptably clean, but there are other things that make sediment traps a necessary safeguard. Often, debris makes its way into the piping prior to installation whether it is from small debris on the job site or even insects making their way into the tubing. Sediment traps are there to prevent this debris from clogging the orifice. Placing the sediment trap according to the new language helps maximize the protective nature of the trap by putting it in the optimal location in the system. Inspectors and installers need to verify that the sediment is properly located. Otherwise, the potential for sediment to get into the appliance and cause damage is increased.