Thread: What is HDPF?

Default What is HDPF?

I saw this black pipe as the main water line into a 95 year old home today. I don't recognize it. It is labeled as HDPF and 200 PSI. It looks like the stuff that I use for irrigating my garden. I'm just not sure if it is ABS or PVC or what? Any Ideas?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: What is HDPF?

With Google I only found HDPE (high density poly ethylene). Its possibly thats what this is and part of the E was worn off.

Thanks Jack. I only found HDPE in an on-line search too. It must have been a bad day with the printer because it made several E's look like F's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Thomas View Post
    I saw this black pipe as the main water line into a 95 year old home today. I don't recognize it. It is labeled as HDPF and 200 PSI. It looks like the stuff that I use for irrigating my garden. I'm just not sure if it is ABS or PVC or what? Any Ideas?
    I looks like a misprint. I found this on the Centennial Plastics site:

Potable Water : Centennial Plastics, Inc.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I looked in the IRC and neither Table P2906.4 Water Service Pipe (only allowed for use of the water service pipe outside the foundation) or Table P290-6.5 Water Distribution Pipe (permitted for use inside and throughout the house) lists HDPE as being approved for either use.

I also looked at the ASTM number (as best I could read them) and did not see the ASTM number listed in either table - thus it appears that HDPE piping is not approved for use as water service pipe (which is what you described the use as), much less water distribution pipe (if any was used inside).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I had to look it up, and found this at Charter Plastics.
    D2239 is rated for down the well applications and underground installations.
    However, it is not designed for in house use or for hot water applications.

Connections should be barbed fittings and clamps.

Instructions say that "New water mains and service lines should be disinfected according to AWWA C651."

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.