Default Double taped breakers

I have a local sparky telling the seller that it is OK to double tap breakers. Seller’s agent tells the buyer’s agent his guy says it’s ok. Now the buyer is questioning my very good agent on whether we are competent or not. Can anyone provide me with a code reference; all I can find on short notice is 408.1 dealing with double taping neutrals. Yes this is an emergency we need to provide an answer by tomorrow morning.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Double taped breakers

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hawley View Post
    I have a local sparky telling the seller that it is OK to double tap breakers. Seller’s agent tells the buyer’s agent his guy says it’s ok. Now the buyer is questioning my very good agent on whether we are competent or not. Can anyone provide me with a code reference; all I can find on short notice is 408.1 dealing with double taping neutrals. Yes this is an emergency we need to provide an answer by tomorrow morning.
    NEC (basically any edition in the last 30-40 years) 110.3(B).

That states that all listed and labeled electrical equipment are to be installed and used in accordance with the information include in their listing and labeling.

If the breaker does not specifically ... specifically ... state that it is listed for use with more than one conductor, then continue to 110.14 (also basically any edition in the last 30 years or so) which states that terminals for aluminum ... and for more than one conductor ... shall be so identified. Many people miss that last part 'for more than one conductor' shall be so identified.

Just make sure it is not one of the breakers with terminal designed to accept two conductors.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You posted this on NACHI emergency forum.
    I just posted 110.3(B).

Like a Cutler Hammer breaker.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

What size and brand of breaker? A picture might help.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT YOUNG View Post
    You posted this on NACHI emergency forum.
    I just posted 110.3(B).

Like a Cutler Hammer breaker.
    Thanks Guys

Yes I posted this twice and got good answers both places

I see a lot of Square D breakers rated for two wires not many Cutler Hammer always have to look twice at any double tap.

I am guessing my alter ego electrician also does landscaping and snow removal, never get questioned on this by a qualified electrician

To my knowledge, the only circuit breakers that may be rated for double taps(same conductor make and size) are the Square-D QO and homeline series.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Kessel View Post
    To my knowledge, the only circuit breakers that may be rated for double taps(same conductor make and size) are the Square-D QO and homeline series.
    Cutler-Hammer also has some listed for two conductors .

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Jim is correct, Cutler-Hammer as well as Square D in the US.

In Canada, HI's should know that the Schneider brand HO breakers are also rated for two connections.
    Schneider owns the Square D and Federal Pioneer brands. The Schneider panels are white and sold through Home Depot. The HO-style breakers have double jaws similar to the Square D style.

Even though 2 connections are permitted on those breakers, they should both be the same gauge, so watch for that too.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca