Ben Flink Guest

Default A/C Condenser Unit in Attic?

Well, I havent been given access to the attic yet, and all utilities are turned off at the moment. I found a thermostat inside the residence, but no sign of an A/C condenser outside. Only thing I saw was a weird metal hood on the exterior coming from the attic and what looks to be cooling fins. I havent seen this setup before...any thoughts would be appreciated! House is located in Southeast Florida, and built in 1963. No other history has been given or known at this point and the owner has recently passed away and was the original owner of the property since new.

IMG_0056.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: A/C Condenser Unit in Attic?

Depends on the unit.

IF the unit is similar to the through-wall units used for motels/hotels (and there was a model made to be installed in garage walls which were installed all over some parts of South Florida 'back then') - the units are package units and are rated for that installation ...

... then it may be okay.

However, if the units are rated for use outdoors and they just installed a package unit in the attic with the coil/fan facing out ... then it is almost a sure thing that it is not okay.

You will need to see what the label on the unit says.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ben Flink Guest

Thanks for the insight Jerry. I'll have to get up there and see whats going on as soon as access is granted. Also, didnt mean for the duplicate post...thought I had deleted this one actually. Either way, I appreciate the knowledge transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Depends on the unit.

IF the unit is similar to the through-wall units used for motels/hotels (and there was a model made to be installed in garage walls which were installed all over some parts of South Florida 'back then') - the units are package units and are rated for that installation ...

... then it may be okay.

However, if the units are rated for use outdoors and they just installed a package unit in the attic with the coil/fan facing out ... then it is almost a sure thing that it is not okay.

You will need to see what the label on the unit says.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Flink View Post
    Also, didnt mean for the duplicate post...thought I had deleted this one actually.
    Ben,

I saw this one first because it is in attic, and attic is at the top of the list.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ben,

A couple of things I see, the first of which is why I doubt it is a geothermal system:

- That large air grille/coil intake/discharge.
    - - A geothermal system uses the earth, a pond, or some other source which holds heat, to draw heat from, discharging lesser-heated (cooled) heat transfer fluid to/from - there is no need for an air heat exchanger, which is what that grill is for (presuming it is for the air conditioning unit as you suspect).

- - If that is the discharge from the condenser unit coil ... where it the intake air coming from?
    - - If that is the intake for the condenser unit coil ... where is the discharge air going out?
    - - I zoomed in on the photo, even all the way to 500%, and I am not sure that is coil (but it sure looks like one) - if that is not a coil, could it just be a large gable exhaust/intake fan with a filter over it?
    - - Was there a large whole house fan in a hallway which blew air into the attic and that was the discharge to let the air out of the attic?

- If that is the discharge from the end of a package unit, the intake vents for the package unit will be in the attic ... using hot attic air to try to cool the package unit condenser unit coil.

Please report back what you find, with photos ... inquiring minds want to know ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ben Flink Guest

I am trying to get back in the house tomorrow for further inspection. No circulating fan inside from what I saw. Old style circular vents with pull chains in the ceilings of all rooms though. And a semi modern thermostat inside. See picture for type of thermostat observed.

220px-OfficeThermostat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ben,

A couple of things I see, the first of which is why I doubt it is a geothermal system:

- - A geothermal system uses the earth, a pond, or some other source which holds heat, to draw heat from, discharging lesser-heated (cooled) heat transfer fluid to/from - there is no need for an air heat exchanger, which is what that grill is for (presuming it is for the air conditioning unit as you suspect).

- - If that is the discharge from the condenser unit coil ... where it the intake air coming from?
    - - If that is the intake for the condenser unit coil ... where is the discharge air going out?
    - - I zoomed in on the photo, even all the way to 500%, and I am not sure that is coil (but it sure looks like one) - if that is not a coil, could it just be a large gable exhaust/intake fan with a filter over it?
    - - Was there a large whole house fan in a hallway which blew air into the attic and that was the discharge to let the air out of the attic?

- If that is the discharge from the end of a package unit, the intake vents for the package unit will be in the attic ... using hot attic air to try to cool the package unit condenser unit coil.

Please report back what you find, with photos ... inquiring minds want to know ...