Curtis Stewart Guest

Default Commerical Inspections

On my introduction i stated I was interested in inspection of commercial structures. The reply's were welcome but the only thing I can think of is
    Huh??????
    As the largest part of my education and training is in an area outside of the normal residential building trades, are there members who either specialize in commercial building inspections or is a sizable side of their business.
    And could someone recommend a top rank instructor or class for commercial building inspection.
    For those of you in the residential area, you have my respect and prayers.
    I come from another world but we all are responsible for insuring the structures we inspect are suitable for continued service. The insurance I carry is 2 mil negligence, 2 mil E&O with 2 mil Umbrella.
    I guess Texas will require some form of certification but I also do a lot of work in New Mexico and Arizona.
    Thanks for all input and to the moderators who take the time to keep the forum running. I know this is a formidable task.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Mike Boyett Guest

Default Re: Commerical Inspections

Curtis, as stated in the other thread, yes, you do need to be licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission to perform inspections for a buyer or seller of real property in Texas, be it a 600 sf condo or a 600,000 sf commercial building. In general, the requirements to obtain that licensing may be up to 448 classroom hours of approved training and to pass a state proctored exam. Go to the TREC website at TREC - Inspector Main Page to better understand the licensing process. Your experience, if applicable, may substitute for some of that training. You can also go to another competing website/bulletin board where there is considerable discussion of commercial inspections and several courses that are taught around the country. Send me a private message, by clicking my name, if you need help finding that board or need further assistance.

Default Re: Commercial Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Stewart View Post
    are there members who either specialize in commercial building inspections or is a sizable side of their business.
    During about the middle third of my inspection career I did a large amount of commercial inspections, however, at about that same time I was moving up into the high end residential market and I enjoyed doing high end (large) homes more than commercial inspections, so I worked toward that market and strayed from commercial inspections (except for a few here and there).

I know Scott Patterson did quite a few commercial inspection before he relocated, maybe Scott still does. I'm sure there are some here who do a large percentage of commercial inspections.

And could someone recommend a top rank instructor or class for commercial building inspection.
    I wish I could help there, but I was basically out of commercial inspections before courses and training came along. I think Carson Dunlop has a good course (based solely on their reputation as I've never taken the course).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I know Scott Patterson did quite a few commercial inspection before he relocated, maybe Scott still does. I'm sure there are some here who do a large percentage of commercial inspections.
    I wish I had a few more! I have entered into the commercial draw inspection world. They pay good and are fairly easy.

I got into commercial inspections by doing EIFS inspections back in the late 1990's. I did not know squat and I hired the folks I needed to do a proper job. I had a Commercial HVAC contractor and Electrician were my two best friends who helped me as I needed them. I would pay them for a couple of hundred dollars for their help and then incorporate their reports into my report. Before I moved I had two commercial real estate brokers and a commercial appraiser that recommended me to their clients. I was averaging about 20 commercial project a year.

Now, I'm happy with my commercial draw inspections that I'm doing for a few local banks. Liability is near Zero and I get to see some things that most folks will never see. Right now I have 7 commercial draw projects going, each one will last about 12-14 months. So every month or so I'm billing about $1,800 just on commercial draws.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have entered into the commercial draw inspection world. They pay good and are fairly easy.
    I also did those for some out-of-the-area lenders. I covered all of South Florida for those lenders.

Now, I'm happy with my commercial draw inspections that I'm doing for a few local banks. Liability is near Zero and I get to see some things that most folks will never see.
    Mine were mostly interior build-outs, but I did have some motels/hotels/large projects which covered from ground breaking to CO. You become knowledgeable with construction methods and techniques (from your own curiosity) with NO Liability for them - all you are doing is making sure the money paid out does not exceed the work done (material stored off-site was a problem though).

One project had a trailer (semi-trailer) full of tubs which was there (I took photos) and was included as 'materials stored on site', then the next month they were GONE ... so I deducted them back off - got to say ... that plumber was PISSED! (Guess he hated getting caught?)

To me, though, I put too much time into the inspections, but I got $300 for each one. The lender offered $50-75 for each inspection, I told them I didn't leave my office for less than $300 and said good-bye. They called back an hour later and said they could cover the $300 per inspection cost, was I interested now.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com