Steve Meyer Guest

Default Realtor Associations/Supra key - Texas

Simple question - Do we have to be associated with a county association of realtors in order to get the supra key rental? I want to avoid the fee & usually don't have the time to attend their functions.

Thanks & Merry Christmas.....
    Steve Meyer

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Lou Wissner Guest

Default Re: Realtor Associations/Supra key - Texas

to get a supra in the houston and galveston area one must be a member of HAR. i don't kow about anywhere else but i would assume the same. can't say as i have gotten any extra inspections by being a member, but having the supra advertised on my web i believe has helped.

Steve Meyer Guest

Thanks Lou -

I was wondering if there was another avenue in getting the Supra key besides the mandatory realestate associations.
    If there is anyone let me know.

Thanks.........STEVE

Besides being a member of an association too, you can expect to pay out around 250.-300. just for using the keypad.

If you think its not worth it, wait and see how long you sit and wait for the realtor to let you in.

The keypad is worth the cost. The association is just part of it. Actually I have not been to one of the association meetings in years.

If that little bit of money is going to hurt you, your in the wrong biz. It can get in your back pocket sometime.

Steve Meyer Guest

Your Right Rick - I'll stop my whinning and suck it up.
    I'm frugal and don't like paying 20 bucks much less 200 for something that I don't attend on a regular basis.

Thanks..............STEVE

Steve,

It wouldn't hurt when your signing up for one of the cards to ask them for a discount being a new inspector.

Tell them your trying to save money starting out and ask them to waive the deposit on the card, you never know.

I'm sure with the Realtor drop out rate I'm hearing about that maybe the association would be more willing to work with you.

Just a thought.

rick

My experience with the Supra key was dismal at best. Yes I had to join the local RE org, but was given "stepchild" status as far as being able to use the key.

We (home inspectors) were not able to access the MLS (no biggie for me), but had to get the CBS code from the listing agent before we could get in the house.

Now that may not be that big of a deal in a lot of markets, but here in the Knoxville area is was a joke. I would try to call the listing agent to get the CBS code and would get, "What's that?", or "I don't know how to get THAT". In the few times I was actually given a number, it wasn't the right one.

In the course of the several months I had it, I found that many Realtors did not know which box they had on which house, the Board had them checked out for boxes they in fact didn't have, and the Board did not have accurate records of the actual CBS codes. I was successful in getting in a house 3, yes 3 times only.

The really bad part, was because i had the key, and I was given the code, then my clients agent assumed I didn't need them, so they were NOT available when I couldn't get in. In one case I ended up getting a hold of a friendly agent that came over and let me in as a favor, since I was unable to get a hold of anyone else.

I took it back as well as several other inspectors in Knoxville. The Board couldn't have cared less, even though we were saving time for their precious agents. AAAUUUGGGHHHHH
    JF
    Your mileage may differ.

I will not have an MLS key.

In my area I would need to have 4 different keys and or keypads. In the greater Nashville area they have three different Realtor Boards and each has their own MLS key system.

Letting in the various folks that are involved in selling a home is the job of the real estate agent. They need to be the ones with the keys not the home inspector! That's why they are paid the "Big Bucks"!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I will not have an MLS key.

They need to be the ones with the keys not the home inspector!

Had one ask me last week after the client left (Looking at Her watch fumbling in purse)

At least she stayed out of the way ( on the home owners computer.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

It never ceases to amaze me that soooo many HIs have freak-out syndrome when it comes to saying the 'M' word ("mold" for those who can say it), being afraid of being sued over soooo many things, yet ...

... yet they let themselves into other peoples homes with no one accompanying themselves.

If that does not open the HI up for being accused of so many things, I don't know what is.

Freaky, isn't it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Whats even freakier is HI's who have problems with other HI's having access to homes.

Why this is such a big deal is beyond me?

True, First of all whoever has the keypad in hand is responsible for his or her actions when entering a home. Whats the difference if an agent lets me through the door or I enter it with a keypad only after making an appointment through the agent and the seller. In other words, they know we are coming out. We are licensed through the real estate associations to do so.

Its always the theft comment that comes into play. YOU could just as easily be blamed for something with the agent sitting in the house while your there or if she's not there. If you get those type of complaints against you your going to be out of business soon anyway.

It has not one time ever caused me any problem or greif only unless someone forgot to turn off their alarm or give me the code for it.

If the alarm goes off, you can expect the police shortly. As soon as they drive up and see the FOR SALE sign in the yard, most just drive off anyway. I have HOME INSPECTOR in bold print on my truck so they know what happened. Another great reason for having your company name on your vehicles.

Having a keypad to me is something I realize that I'm trusted with and do not abuse it by not following the rules associated with its use.

I agree the 300. a year fee for it sux, but my time is more important than sitting in my truck waiting on the agent to show up. Sure that is something they get paid to do, but many are not professional in showing up on time.

rick

Over the years I have been in thousands of houses by myself. A key was left under the mat, I was given a combo code for a lock box, someone has come by and left the door unlocked for me.....countless ways.

I have been alone in vacant as well as occupied houses. Some of the occupied homes even had cash laying around.

Here is the total of related calls received:

Not one call saying that something was missing - Since 1989 NOT ONE CALL!

JF

I did have one listing agent that did not want the buyers agent to come by an hour early to unlock a door for me (vacant house). She asked her if she thought that I might steal the cabinets or flooring, or possibly the curtains. The agents reply, "You never know!".

Rick, Jack,

Do you call 'mold' 'mold'?

If so, you've missed the comparison. If not, sorry about that, but it is what it is.

*I* too have been in homes by myself. Had doors left open for me, had keys placed under the mat. You name it.

And many of those homes had art work in them where even just one piece was worth more than many 'normal' homes. I only had one (1) home owner who was nervous about me being there alone, and said he or his wife would have to be there when I was - and that was not a problem for me. He had a Rembrandt and a Van Gogh, among other paintings I did not recognize, on his walls - he and his wife were high end art dealers, dealing in works of art worth mega bucks ... I don't blame him for being overly cautious with ANYONE, which included myself. You should have seen the alarm system on that house - protected like Fort Knox.

That's that what I was pointing out, though.

I was, and am, pointing out is that some HIs feel they are 'not allowed' to use the 'm' word, yet they expose themselves to other liabilities without giving them a second thought. Go back and re-read my post, you will see that is was I was referring to.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

John McKenna Guest

Our Company Is Independent And Does Not Solicit Realtors...
    Therefore No Supra.

You may be independent but if your waiting on agents so you can do your job you are dependent on them.

Having a keypad John is not a solicitation of Realtors. C'mon.

rick

Jerry,
    Sorry I missed the M part of the post entirely.

To answer your question...I do use the term mold and usually add the term fungus at the same time. (mold/fungus)

I got a call from a home seller really upset with me (get in line) and saying something like .."mold/fungus observed.....how can you say that?".
    JF..Becasue I saw it in the basement, and included a photo of it.
    LA...Did you test it for mold?
    JF...NO
    LA..Then how do you know it's mold?
    JF..Because of what I saw, and what it looked like
    LA...How can you say that if you haven't tested it?
    JF..You ever had food in your refrigerator that had some black stuff on it?
    LA..Yeah
    JF..What was it?
    LA...Mold
    JF...How did you know that without testing it?
    LA...Uhhh, thats not the same thing....
    JF...Dial tone

I will echo Jack's comments as well. After explaining what a CBS code is for the billionth time, I gave up. Crippling the key with that CBS nonsense makes it worthless.

The darn thing collected dust in its cradle since I only got to use it about once each year. Turned it in and haven't missed it at all.

Dom.

I jump at the chance to lock it up for them. I really don't want them hanging around anyway. I don't want them coming back at the end and want me to go over the entire inspection, and help her write up the contingency removal.

Sorry, go to go, I have another appointment. If it's the last one of the day, sorry, I'm late for church (may not even be Wednesday).