Default Drip edge Flashing

Would someone please enlighten me on what is required on new roof application with drip edge flashing. I see where the 2015 code mandates them but I also see new construction without them. So what is it?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Drip edge Flashing

If you see new construction without it, then I recommend that you inquire with your local AHJ about what they require. Around here, the different AHJ's adopt, modify, and/or ignore the IRC as they see fit.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lon makes a valid point...

However i would always mention in any report the lack of drip edge, in the Carolina's if your roof is not steep you can pretty much guaranty that you will have sheathing damage without it!

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Bruce Adams Guest

It is fairly common here in TN to find homes with no drip edge installed. However, that doesn't make it right and I call it out in my reports.

- - - Updated - - -

It is fairly common here in TN to find homes with no drip edge installed. However, that doesn't make it right and I call it out in my reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
    Does the code in your area specifically require drip edge flashing? Does the manufacturer specifically require drip edge flashing?

If not, then 'not having drip edge flashing' is not "wrong" ... "PPP", yeah ... (Piss Poor Practice).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Depending on the TN town/city and their AHJ, it may be required and it may not be required. A simple call to the county/town/city AHJ would tell you real quick if it is or not required. All shingle mfg. recommend it but do not require drip edge flashing… I have a few jurisdictions around me that require it..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Refer to manufacturer's installation instructions, if there is no drip edge, it will void the roofing material warranty GAF require a certified installers in California who must be State Licensed Roofers' , I recommend that a state licensed roofer certify that the roof will last 2 years which is the FHA minimum requirement.

A roof with no drip edge is a sure way for to end up with a dry rot decking.

Fred Sweezer Sr.
    Certified Home Inspector
    1-562-234-2689

Last edited by Fred Sweezer Sr; 11-15-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Zehnder View Post
    Lon makes a valid point...

However i would always mention in any report the lack of drip edge, in the Carolina's if your roof is not steep you can pretty much guaranty that you will have sheathing damage without it!
    It depends on how short the Roofers cut the overhang above the gutters and, how far below the edge of the sheathing the gutters were hung -if you can see daylight from behind the gutter, you need drip edge flashing. Lots of times, the edge of the sheathing is rotted because people won't get off the couch and clean their gutters. JMO