Will Graff Guest

Default Advertising: Real estate community guide books/Introduction folders

I've had a few calls lately from vendors working on behalf of real estate offices asking if I want to advertise in literature real estate agents hand out to clients -- they're calling them "community guide books" or "introduction folders." Basically, they feature several businesses within these folders and give them out to prospective buyers at open houses. It starts at about $400 for a small advert in their print materials and will run for one year. One of the offers also invites you to a meet and greet with agents.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has done this and found it worthwhile (or not). I looked around and couldn't find any posts about this. Sounds like it could be helpful, but it would be great to get some feedback. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Advertising: Real estate community guide books/Introduction folders

Is it worthwhile? Yes, for the publishing company that's selling the ad space to you.

Working "on behalf" is big red flag, as it's a euphemism for " I'm about to mention someone's name and I hope you know them..." . Don't believe for a second that you are somehow special.

They typically provide these folders (for free or significantly reduced cost) to the brokerage. The folder has ads placed all over it, and you're promised certain perks.

It really becomes a crap-shoot as to whether a client will see your ad at all. The process of searching for and buying real estate has changed dramatically over the past 2 decades.

Many clients don't go to the agent's office; many buyers don't meet the agent/broker in person until much farther down the road into the process. I've seen my clients meet their agent (for the first time) at the home inspection many times over the years. And some agents never meet the buyer until closing. The point is that folder or sleeve may never be seen, and certainly not before a client hires an inspector.

You are likely better of investing that money into more proven marketing strategies.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Graff View Post
    I've had a few calls lately from vendors working on behalf of real estate offices asking if I want to advertise in literature real estate agents hand out to clients -- they're calling them "community guide books" or "introduction folders." Basically, they feature several businesses within these folders and give them out to prospective buyers at open houses. It starts at about $400 for a small advert in their print materials and will run for one year. One of the offers also invites you to a meet and greet with agents.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has done this and found it worthwhile (or not). I looked around and couldn't find any posts about this. Sounds like it could be helpful, but it would be great to get some feedback. Thanks.
    I will occasionally put an advertisement into a local charity publication or sponsor a cart at a local charity golf event, but I have not yet used any of these advertising fliers. In my case, I get referrals from past clients or agents. My website has had good feedback on occasion.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Will Graff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Is it worthwhile? Yes, for the publishing company that's selling the ad space to you.

Working "on behalf" is big red flag, as it's a euphemism for " I'm about to mention someone's name and I hope you know them..." . Don't believe for a second that you are somehow special.

They typically provide these folders (for free or significantly reduced cost) to the brokerage. The folder has ads placed all over it, and you're promised certain perks.

It really becomes a crap-shoot as to whether a client will see your ad at all. The process of searching for and buying real estate has changed dramatically over the past 2 decades.

Many clients don't go to the agent's office; many buyers don't meet the agent/broker in person until much farther down the road into the process. I've seen my clients meet their agent (for the first time) at the athome inspection many times over the years. And some agents never meet the buyer until closing. The point is that folder or sleeve may never be seen, and certainly not before a client hires an inspector.

You are likely better of investing that money into more proven marketing strategies.

Dom.
    Thanks, Dom. That's a good point that the majority of the buyers probably won't even get the folder in the first place.

Old school hucksters marketing to new inspectors desperate for work. Don't do it unless you have money to waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Old school hucksters marketing to new inspectors desperate for work. Don't do it unless you have money to waste.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas