Fay Meaux Guest

Default Goodman Manufacturing AC Question

We built our home in 2013 and builder installed a 4 ton GSX 130481 13 seer unit outside. Our Adair return in the attic is a 3.5 ton AVPTC426014AA. We have been through 3 air intake blowers in the last 4 years and I'm wondering if my issue is the 3.5 Air handler.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Goodman Manufacturing AC Question

It is unusual to install a smaller rated (3.5 ton) air handler than the rating of the condenser unit (4 ton).

Typically, the air handler is the same or slightly larger to make use of everything available from the condenser unit.

Has the contractor said why the blower is failing? 'Too much use' (seems unlikely). 'Moisture damage' (that would be some other cause, there should not be moisture accumulating on/in the blower). 'Variable speed' and the controller in the blower/computer control board is bad/failing (typically the blower is just a motor with leads coming out of it, the controller/computer board is usually elsewhere, as I recall).

Maybe Dom will reply, he was/is an a/c guy as I recall.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Fay Meaux Guest

The AC company just comes and changes it because it's "still under warranty", but this is getting out of hand. He tells us he is making it good, that's it, but I only have one year left under warranty then I will be paying out of pocket. I have a call in to Goodman Manufacturing but in the mean time I want to have all my ducks in a row. I have had 2 other A/C companies tell me that this a big "no no" but I want to get as many opinions as I can so I can get this all straightened out.

I can't see why the condenser or evaporator coil size would make any difference in the life of the fan. If not installed properly I could understand it not cooling properly but that was not brought up.

I would ask.

1. Is the fan always running or just when the unit is cooling or heating?
    2. Do you have a large enough air return? 400 sq in or 500 sq in?
    3. Do you use those "Filtrete Allergen" filters that restrict the air flow?
    4. Do you change your filter monthly?
    5. Do you have a capacitor on the fan? (That would really help)
    A lot of times folks use their HVAC for air purification and they aren't made to have a filter that doesn't allow air to pass through. The higher the MERV or MPR of the filter the less air passes through and if you only change these every 3 months even less air is passing through. I pull these dang things out of air handlers where they have caved in because the blower is starving for air.

That's my experience.

Next

Last edited by Gary Burnett; 07-26-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: New thought

Fay Meaux Guest

1. The fan only runs when the AC is cooling.
    2. My air return is 24X30x1
    3. I use the regular cheap green colored air filters
    3. I can my filter every month when I pay my electricity bill.

the AC cools but runs a lot. I keep my thermostat set to 78 during the day and gradually decrease to about 74 at night and my electricity bill is running $400 a month as well.

On a side note, my home is 1790 sq feet with 12 ft ceilings in living, dining, kitchen and foyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fay Meaux View Post
    I have a call in to Goodman Manufacturing but in the mean time I want to have all my ducks in a row.
    That is your first duck to line up - have the Goodman Factory Representative determine "why" that is happening, they will know if it only applies to your unit or if it is a manufacturing problem they have.

Years ago we had a Carrier system installed in a house in South Florida, the computer board kept 'going bad' - the Carrier representative admitted it was a problem that they (Carrier) had not figured out yet ... he was able to figure the problem on our unit, they solved the problem, replaced our computer control board, and we never had another problem with that unit (they ended up having to encase the computer control board in a sealant to keep moisture out of it - that solved the problem).

So, yes, absolutely start with the Goodman Representative. Remember ... "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

We built our home in 2013 and builder installed a 4 ton GSX 130481 13 seer unit outside. Our Adair return in the attic is a 3.5 ton AVPTC426014AA. We have been through 3 air intake blowers in the last 4 years and I'm wondering if my issue is the 3.5 Air handler.
    What is an air intake blower? For the sealed combustion chamber? Or are you referring to the blower for the air handler?

Fay Meaux Guest

The A/C guy called it a blower motor? It's the part that is in the attic.

The outside condenser for your area is incorrect for your area, per manufacture site.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpr...ctid=453058739

"For residents of Southern States: AL, AR, DE, FL, GA, HI, KY, LA, MD, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, DC - We recommend Goodman GSX140361 model. For residents of Southwest States: AZ, CA, NV, NM - We recommend Goodman GSX140371 model. If you need assistance in selecting your equipment, please call us at (800) 865 5931."

Yet that does not have anything to do with your blower failing. The blower is just a variable speed "squirl cage" fan. If the complaint was that the evaporator was freezing up that would be a different discussion. Low voltage could be a cause for motor failure. Restricted intake could be another issue. Incorrect duct sizing is another issue to consider.

Your up the creek till you get someone in to inspect and test the system components and calculate duct sizes.

Fay Meaux Guest

Thank you all for your responses.

Motor failure will also be problematic if the capacitor is not sized correctly with the motor. Kind of goes along with low voltage or over voltage being an issue.

1. The fan only runs when the AC is cooling.
    2. My air return is 24X30x1
    3. I use the regular cheap green colored air filters
    3. I can my filter every month when I pay my electricity bill.

the AC cools but runs a lot. I keep my thermostat set to 78 during the day and gradually decrease to about 74 at night and my electricity bill is running $400 a month as well.

On a side note, my home is 1790 sq feet with 12 ft ceilings in living, dining, kitchen and foyer.
    Evening, I'm am new here but that unit seem to me to be large for the size building. I cool a 2400 sf residence with a 2ton unit and a 2.5 ton acoil and way lower electric bill. Check for restrictions in your return and put a thermometer just ahead of the blower motor in the duct. This is an "air over" cooled motor and if insufficient amount or high temp air could be the problem. Just a thought.