Thread: Pipe material

Default Pipe material

Looking for your imput on pipe material.
    1949 build.
    NG heating. Boilers, radiators.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc.
    Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
    Our Motto; Putting information where you need it most, "In your hands.”

Default Re: Pipe material

How do you say, "3/4" galvanized pipe"??? Don't know if they spell it differently in universal carer, single payer, country; or it is pronounced differential .

May it a dialect?"?????

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 08-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Looks like rusted steel pipe from here...

Dom.

Garry,

You seem to have gotten "up on the wrong side of the bed" this morning, as the saying goes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Dom, thanks. I did not think the post would get a reply to tell you the truth.

This is the first time I have seen what appeared to be cast iron radiator pipes for this type of enclosed hot water radiator.
    Typically I see copper piping with heat distribution finns of another alloy, aluminum.

As well, I did not think galvanised piping existed in hot water radiant heating, but again one never knows.

Thanks again.
    Best!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Garry,

You seem to have gotten "up on the wrong side of the bed" this morning, as the saying goes.
    Not to worry. I get up on the wrong side of bed at times.

Here is another picture. Hopefully it furthers my threads reasoning.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

1949 iron pipe was used almost exclusively on heating systems, copper may have been added later if the radiators were changed out or could have been original,. 1949 and iron heating pipe should also be a BIG red flag that Asbestos was or is present. And yes that is without a doubt IRON pipe. Do you carry a magnet.
    Main water line could also be iron which would be bad for the buyer. Magnet !always carry one

sorry, was having a little fun with you.......Apologies

It looks like you have a steel boiler (Hydroponic) with mixed materials.
    Original post pict you have galvanized to steel pipe.
    Later picts ,top to bottom,
    --steel to brass 90 to copper.
    --steel to Brass to sweated on copper.

1949 was still a hold over from war shortages in copper. Galvanized and black steel used for cost and availability. Steel was and is ok for distribution. Personal;y I do not like mixing steel and copper in distribution system.

The built into the wall radiator was an up grade to free standing rads. They come in both steel and copper.

Kind of you to offer. No apologies required.

I managed to see one of the utility rooms. My request for the electrical room went on deft ears although I asked 4 times.
    3 recent Lochinvar high efficiency NG Boilers. Only thing updated in the 1949 building. All units in original condition. It was a time warp.

On the 4th request for the electrical utility room the client and myself were meet by the lead concierge in a suite and tie. My client remarked afterwards, "last time I saw him is was sweeping the floors with normal concierge itier. Jeans and tee shirt." You think it was a setup?"
    The client was then told about planned building maintenance schedule, which was a bit of a surprise.he told me afterwards.

It appeared the full spit, polish and push was on for the sale, with the sales agent conveniently receiving a call from a willing purchaser to purchase THAT VERY UNIT during the inspection.
    Made my day. Haven't seen that old sales tactic used in quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    1949 iron pipe was used almost exclusively on heating systems, copper may have been added later if the radiators were changed out or could have been original,.
    That's what I thought, but I had to ask after I saw a threaded brass or copper fitting and copper tubing.

1949 and iron heating pipe should also be a BIG red flag that Asbestos was or is present.
    Always is to me.
    But the only way to see the heating system and any "suspect asbestos" wrapped pipes is by entering utility rooms. Below are the cast iron pipes.

And yes that is without a doubt IRON pipe. Do you carry a magnet.
    Yes, I have 2. One can extend 18". I will use them more frequently. I only thought of asking the pipe material question once I arrived back in my home office.

Main water line could also be iron which would be bad for the buyer.
    I concur. I advise my clients to make a request in advance see all unity rooms. Whether we get to see ALL unity rooms is another story.

Thanks.

Question. Why are there 2 images in the post and not one? What am I doing wrong?

So I am sure you saw the Asbestos ( or so it looks) covered pipe up to the right of the two iron pies covered with tattered fiberglass right

- - - Updated - - -

and by the way since that is a common area, all owners would be responsible for a share of repairs in the future unless the buyer has a good comment added to the contract stating that they are exempt. make them aware to talk to their atty

So I am sure you saw the Asbestos ( or so it looks) covered pipe up to the right of the two iron pies covered with tattered fiberglass right

- - - Updated - - -

and by the way since that is a common area, all owners would be responsible for a share of repairs in the future unless the buyer has a good comment added to the contract stating that they are exempt. make them aware to talk to their atty
    Morning Wayne.

Here's a pic of the wrap material. 2 layers of heavy construction paper with glass fiber sandwiched in between. Plaster is used to coat and seal the insulation.

This are cast iron water boil pipes, not steam boiler pipes. The temperature is not as intense/hot as steam.
    1949 built. Concrete structure. Masonry veneer. Updated water boilers. (3)
    No asbestos on the pipes.

PS: I try my best to insure I inspect all shared components. Remember, I work for the client. They decide my actions in condo's. If they only want the habitable space inspected, my hands are tied.

yes I could see that Robert, there was another pipe up to the right of those two where the covering was not damaged so it was suspect. Still I would make them aware that due to the age of the building an assessment may come up in the future for asbestos, or repairs to the failing pipe insulation