Dave Rose Guest

Default Black iron gas pipe through concrete

This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside. Is there an issue with the concrete being in direct contact with the mortar? If so, is there a relatively easy fix or does the gas need to be shut off temporarily and the pipe removed to sleeve it?

If there is an issue, can you please include a code reference if one applies?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Black iron gas pipe through concrete

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rose View Post
    This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside. Is there an issue with the concrete being in direct contact with the mortar? If so, is there a relatively easy fix or does the gas need to be shut off temporarily and the pipe removed to sleeve it?

I see there has been no answer from the teeming masses. I do not recall any restriction based solely on the pipe penetrating through concrete, although a sleeve would be a good idea for a couple of reasons. I can see no evidence of excessive corrosion.

The only restriction that I recall is underground gas piping run through a foundation wall and/or a slab. Those are both covered in the UPC and IRC.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

That is the way I see it through stucco here on every house. I don't see a problem with it. Yes, under the slab is a big difference.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Dave Rose Guest

Thank to those who responded. Her local gas company "black tagged" her meter (not sure what that means) after seeing this...I did the inspection months ago.

If this is through a structural wall such as a concrete foundation, there should be a relieving arch or a sleeve (2 nominal sized larger, I think). Stucco and brick veneer are different.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 08-29-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Thank to those who responded. Her local gas company "black tagged" her meter (not sure what that means) after seeing this...I did the inspection months ago.
    Red tag I know. Black tag please explain what it signifies. to

Galvanized pipe has been found upon due to possible flaking. Uncoated pipe in concrete does deteriat faster though it is all about moisture.

Hey Dave,

Did you ever get an answer as to why it was "black-tagged" and what the heck that means?

This is what I was thinking of:
    P2603.4 Pipes through foundation walls.
    A pipe that passes through a foundation wall shall be provided with a relieving arch or a pipe sleeve shall be built into the foundation wall. The sleeve shall be two pipe sizes greater than the pipe passing through the wall.
    (Borrowed from Jerry's post on another thread)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This is what I was thinking of:
    (Borrowed from Jerry's post on another thread)
    Augh! You beat me to it!

But ... but ... but ... that's not a "foundation wall".

Use one of the other references I posted for penetrations through exterior walls.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    But ... but ... but ... that's not a "foundation wall". Use one of the other references I posted for penetrations through exterior walls.
    Wait, it's not? It sure looks like one. Is a stemwall different from a foundation wall?

This is a black iron gas pipe in a garage. Meter is outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Wait, it's not? It sure looks like one. Is a stemwall different from a foundation wall?
    That is going through a block wall, from outside to inside into a garage, the meter is outside the wall - at least that is what the original post said.

That wall is no different than a block wall at the rear porch with a gas line going through it, or from outside to inside to a fireplace, or into a kitchen, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Should have a sleeve with the annular space sealed to prevent weather and rodent intrusion. It is in the NFGC and in the FG section of the plumbing codes. A poly spit sleeve is the easiest fix and a little silicone caulk. Hardest part is chipping out the mortar of what looks like a nice job.