Matt Youmans Guest

Default Introduction...and a window issue

Hello all...hope everyone is well!

I am in Hanahan, SC and bought a new home end of May 2014. It has SilverLine vinyl windows and code here requires some sort of hurricane protection. The builder (their sub, I guess) drilled "anchor" type holders (basically, a female receptacle for a bolt that holds plywood on over window connected to a lag type screw) through the surrounding of the vinyl windows. It's not damaged any part of the window/gasket, etc that would typically be covered under mfg warranty, but I am getting water intrusion in my house (dripping down walls and bubbling/flaking paint and who knows what is going on behind the walls).

SilverLine reps on the phone said that warranty is void when I sent them these pictures. SilverLine (Andersen) legal dept said they couldn't (wouldn't) say one way or another if warranty would be void. They wouldn't put anything in writing, basically. I have now filed a warranty claim with them to get a rep here and give me something in writing one way or the other regarding warranty (per my friend's advice...she's a construction attorney).

Builder is addressing the issue, but they do not want to replace the windows. They have simply had another company out and apply more caulk/sealant around these holes where the screw penetrates the molding of window and, I'm assuming, the flashing or whatever which is allowing water to go where it shouldn't go.

Below are the first pictures I sent to SilverLine and are representative of every window on my house. I have some other pictures I will post in next post that I took today of the top part of window where I believe the water is pooling up and penetrating the flashing/barrier and entering my home.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Matt Youmans Guest

Default Re: Introduction...and a window issue

These 2 pics were taken today of their "repair"

Looks like the guy just cut more of my vinyl siding and squirted some sort of silicone or something on it without even cleaning anything up. These pictures are from me above the window looking down (exactly where the rain will collect/pool and then leak into home) These lag screw things pierce any protective barriers as far as I can tell and any caulk/sealant is temporary, in this application, in my humble opinion. What do y'all think? I am hoping my construction attorney friend can help me out here...I only want what I paid for and that is new windows with warranty that do not leak into my home. Damage is occurring every time it rains hard.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Based on what I see in the photos, a poor installation, and lack of proper flashings and sealing.
    Here's one link to how this should have been installed - http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2008...cement-windows

I'm not sure if the screw type fasteners are typical for your area, but there are better ways to secure windows in an opening other than seeing a bunch of exposed fasteners.

Matt Youmans Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Claude Lawrenson View Post
    Based on what I see in the photos, a poor installation, and lack of proper flashings and sealing.
    Here's one link to how this should have been installed - http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2008...cement-windows

I'm not sure if the screw type fasteners are typical for your area, but there are better ways to secure windows in an opening other than seeing a bunch of exposed fasteners.

Thanks, Claude. My parents live on the coast in a custom home and have similar fasteners, but they are mounted about 6" from the frame of each window and assume this is the correct way for this type installation.

These fasteners have pierced the barrier wrap and I'm not even sure they put tape over the wrap. I need to pull siding away and really look. I agree that it is poor installation. My friend says 99% of windows around here are not installed properly.

My contention is the installer has altered the windows in such a fashion that the windows cannot perform as originally manufactured. I am trying to get the manufacturer down to look at them now (filed claim last night) to tell me whether any warranty is now voided as I will use that as another leg to stand on.

In my opinion, there is no permanent fix for these widows as long as these fasteners are to be used like they are.

It is probable that you received paperwork from your builder giving the model number of the window. Go to the manufacturer's site. They may well have the approved method of windstorm protection for the windows. I can pretty much guarantee "this ain't it."

I'd suggest that you ask around for qualified home inspectors. Caulk is a temporary fix. You will benefit from a written report.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Thom Walker; 09-01-2017 at 06:10 PM. Reason: double post
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

I don't know anything about hurricane installations or requirements so whether that is a normal install method or not listen to others.
    However, the raining wall issue is also common around here when guys install windows positive to the vinyl siding / j-channel. Whenever I pull up to a house with the windows installed positive like that I pretty much guarantee the client the walls will leak. Spray the wall with a garden hose during the inspection and they leak. Had one where the sprinkler came on and water started pouring into the walls.
    The windows need to come out completely, vinyl needs to come off enough to work around the openings and windows need to be installed properly NOT positive to the vinyl.
    Dealing with a client right now on a leaking curtain wall; around $30K to replace the entire wall because the original installer didn't do it right.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Bill Chinook Guest

Slightly off-topic, but window leaking issues can be completely solved by having sufficient roof overhangs....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Chinook View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but window leaking issues can be completely solved by having sufficient roof overhangs....
    I'm not sure that everyone wants 10 foot or greater overhangs just to keep most of the rain off the windows.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com