Default Did not follow the proper steps to get a permit, what to do next?

Hello everyone,

I am renovating a duplex at the moment that will then be rented. It is the first home we own, and when we started to renovate it, we had no idea about the rules of pulling permits and getting the work inspected.

We have moved the electrical panel, rewired the entire house except for the bedrooms, we did everything following new building codes, and the work has been checked by a friend electrician and everything seems to be fine.

However, I went to the permit department of my city, and I learnt that no work can be done by the owner of the property if it is a duplex (they consider it a commercial property), all electrical work is supposed to be done by a master electrician.

Now that the electricity is all done, what can I do from there? The walls are all opened, and everything that was done can be checked.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Louis

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Did not follow the proper steps to get a permit, what to do next?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisKlaoy View Post
    However, I went to the permit department of my city, and I learnt that no work can be done by the owner of the property if it is a duplex (they consider it a commercial property), all electrical work is supposed to be done by a master electrician.
    As it should be for all properties which are offered for sale or rent/lease - no 'owner/builder/contractor' permits or work should be allowed as that puts others at risk of unlicensed work.

Now that the electricity is all done, what can I do from there? The walls are all opened, and everything that was done can be checked.
    From your description, 'you' won't be able to do any work (work of licensed trades), you will need to hire licensed contractors for whatever work you plan on doing.

It is that way in Florida too - owner/builder work means no selling or renting/leasing for one year from the date the last owner/builder work was completed. Should be that way all over, for the protection of unsuspecting others who rent or buy.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    It is that way in Florida too - owner/builder work means no selling or renting/leasing for one year from the date the last owner/builder work was completed. Should be that way all over, for the protection of unsuspecting others who rent or buy.
    I agree, but I had never thought about this until the work was basically done, like I said, this is my first home and I had never done a renovation in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    From your description, 'you' won't be able to do any work (work of licensed trades), you will need to hire licensed contractors for whatever work you plan on doing.
    Ok, but what if the work is already done? Tear everything apart, and having them redo what was done?

Thank you,

Louis

Last edited by LouisKlaoy; 09-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisKlaoy View Post
    Ok, but what if the work is already done? Tear everything apart, and having them redo what was done?
    Louis,

If the work is still all exposed as you said "The walls are all opened, and everything that was done can be checked.", then get permits for the work already completed, you may pay a small extra fee to get a contractor to "take over the work and pull the permit" for each trade, and the contractor will - SHOULD - review the work already done, make any changes they see necessary (if any are necessary), then call in for inspections ... remember, the contractor who takes over the work and pulls the permit becomes the responsible party for all the work, whether they did the work or whether you did the work - so be prepared to pay what they feel is needed to take on that responsibility ... and, yes, there could be cases where the licensed contractor says "I have to rip everything out and redo it." If so ... so be it ... that is what the contractor needs to feel comfortable taking responsibility for that work.

It is a tough place you are in, and as you said, "I agree, but I had never thought about this until the work was basically done.", but it is an all too common learning curve for first time "investors" who (and this may, or may not, apply to you) watch all those TV shows and think "I can do that.", without realizing all the responsibilities which come with doing that - when done properly ... I often wonder how many of those 'renovations' on TV are actually permitted and inspected as they should be ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

That is great information, thank you! I also performed plumbing work, could an electrical inspection trigger a plumbing inspection?

I understand that electrical work is important to be inspected, but plumbing could never hurt anyone, besides the owner, for leaks issues.

Thank you,

Louis.

You are asking questions that we can't answer, unless someone here happens to work for the local government. You're going to have to ask people in your area who have more knowledge of the local government and how they work.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Louis,

For liability reasons, if for no other reasons, ALL work you did yourself SHOULD be contracted out to licensed contractors and permitted.

Plumbing DOES/CAN cause damage to personal items and cause personal injury ... think of water mixing with electricity ... followed by electrical shock or electrocution.

Think in these terms - is it worth saving a little bit of money just so you can potentially give the entire duplex to someone who is injured by YOUR work?

Not worth it if you ask me ... of course ... in cases like this ... like the attorneys ... I and other experts, always get paid.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com