Cool New Exterior Stucco System?

Long time lurker; first time poster.

I was on a new construction final walk yesterday and came across this type of stucco application. It appears to be some type of coated laminate backer board (not zip board or OSB) fastened to the framing with a paper moisture barrier between the framing and the backer board. It also appeared to have only one coat of finish stucco. My concern is if the product was installed correctly per manufacturer instruction. There was no flashing or screed on the bottom and some of the board bottoms were exposed (where framing walls were offset the slab) to likely moisture damage from run-off. Is anyone familiar with this system and know the maker of this product? I'm in Central Texas. Thanks much...

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: New Exterior Stucco System?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krohn View Post
    I was on a new construction final walk yesterday and came across this type of stucco application. It appears to be some type of coated laminate backer board (not zip board or OSB) fastened to the framing with a paper moisture barrier between the framing and the backer board. It also appeared to have only one coat of finish stucco.
    Sounds like something I have heard described by another inspector, and if so, there is no 'system' approved for it.

The other inspector found Durock tile backer board attached to the studs with stucco being applied directly to the Durock backer board.

No "approved" system for that.

Put stucco on Durock? Sure, why not, one puts thinset on it, should hold stucco, right?

But, one can put lipstick on a pig too, and the lipstick would likely stay in place, right?

Doesn't mean that it is approved for that use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krohn View Post
    My concern is if the product was installed correctly per manufacturer instruction.
    As someone stated, there are many Direct-applied Exterior Finish System (DEFS) on the market, so without knowing which one you have, it isn't possible to determine if the specs were followed.

So if it's a new build, reach out to the builder or super and find out what they are installing.
    I would be stunned if they are installing the product as listed or required, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    As someone stated, there are many Direct-applied Exterior Finish System (DEFS) on the market, so without knowing which one you have, it isn't possible to determine if the specs were followed.
    While that is correct, the location and applicable code for the area need to be documented as being acceptable for a DEFS.

The example I gave was from an area in Florida in which the Durock tile backer boards would serve as the 'impact-resistant' exterior wall (there was no plywood behind the Durock). Not only did that leave the wall siding/cladding system in question, but also the shearwall capabilities of the Durock being the bracing for the wall to resist overturning in high wind events (hurricanes).

In other area of the country, the codes may not have the same requirements for resisting wind and other forces, and there may not be any concern for impact resistance from wind borne debris. Which means one first needs to find out if the 'system' installed is an "approved system", and then if it is "approved for installation in that area" as codes differ.

http://www.totalwall.com/PDF/DA_Training.pdf

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com