Thread: Steel Posts

Default Steel Posts

I have only seen these a few times. Obviously damaged, but what is the correct term for these steel support 'posts'?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Steel Posts

Lally columns.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

they look like temporary screw jacks which are not allowed as permanent because they are hollow and rust out quickly. the other tripod type supports down there are no good either.

Very common in my area. I don't know their actual name. Around here, they are called screw jacks, metal screw jacks or pipe jacks. Used in the 1970s in an attempt to allow adjustment of uneven floors in areas where expansive soils are found.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    they look like temporary screw jacks which are not allowed as permanent because they are hollow and rust out quickly. the other tripod type supports down there are no good either.
    These columns are very common, used throughout the 60's into the late 70's. I am not aware of them being illegal because "they are hollow and rust out quickly". Today's steel columns are concrete filled to give them a better fire rating so they don't melt and collapse under high heat. They will still rust out.

Ken Amelin
    Cape Cod's Best Inspection Services
    www.midcapehomeinspection.com