Default Is bug screen acceptable for deck railing

Is anyone know if bug screen is acceptable in place of balusters (deck is more than 30" above grade) ?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Is bug screen acceptable for deck railing

No, insect screening is not a suitable barrier infill panel.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    No, insect screening is not a suitable barrier infill panel.
    I disagree. If you can get an engineer to sign-off on it, it's just fine.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I disagree. If you can get an engineer to sign-off on it, it's just fine.
    Still not fine - challenge the engineer (report him/her to the state) and they won't do it.

Now, if the engineer wants to use special high strength wire and tension it between suitable supports which will withstand the tension, and have it pass the load test of 50 pounds per square foot (which includes the air between the strands) ... then have the engineering reviewed by another engineer who agrees - so be it. That would work, but the engineer needs to 'work' at making it work.

At least in Florida, report the engineer.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Still not fine - challenge the engineer (report him/her to the state) and they won't do it.

Now, if the engineer wants to use special high strength wire and tension it between suitable supports which will withstand the tension, and have it pass the load test of 50 pounds per square foot (which includes the air between the strands) ... then have the engineering reviewed by another engineer who agrees - so be it. That would work, but the engineer needs to 'work' at making it work.

At least in Florida, report the engineer.
    lol, I can read what you are saying and I understand what you are saying but just for conversation sake, do you have or have seen any kind of detailed info for a product like this or similar? https://www.phifer.com/product/consu...istant-screen/ .....I may have in a past life used it on the bottom panels of an elevated deck because I didn't want to lose any of the view (top panels were regular screen). I am sure, technically it was wrong, but I was pretty impressed with the strength of it and would think there has to be some product out there that would have the engineering to allow it for it to be used in such a way.

Mike Pagozalski- Florida Home Inspector #HI9519, Radon Measurement Technician R2530, Exterior Design Institute #FL131, ITC Level II Thermographer #150761
    Tallahassee's Home Inspection Team

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pagozalski View Post
    lol, I can read what you are saying and I understand what you are saying but just for conversation sake, do you have or have seen any kind of detailed info for a product like this or similar? https://www.phifer.com/product/consu...istant-screen/ .....I may have in a past life used it on the bottom panels of an elevated deck because I didn't want to lose any of the view (top panels were regular screen). I am sure, technically it was wrong, but I was pretty impressed with the strength of it and would think there has to be some product out there that would have the engineering to allow it for it to be used in such a way.
    Not allowed.

Not only would the screen have to be rated and listed for withstanding the load for the infill panels, the frame would need to be rated and listed for the loads imposed on it, and the 'top rail' (intermediate rail) would need to be able to withstand a 200 pound load in any direction.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com