Default gas appliances off bathroom

I inspected the most custom home I've ever seen. Handrails were 'rattlesnakes' with 'talon' supports. Bone and twisted juniper pulls and handles. Fiber optic lighting including accurate stars/constellations in ceilings. I imagine inspectors in larger cities see more custom homes, but this home was a treat to inspect.

Here's my question. From the master bedroom you go into the master bathroom- doorway but no door. From there you go into the master toilet room- typical interior solid core door. From there you go into a mechanical room with a gas boiler and water heater. Again typical interior solid core door- no self closers or weatherstripping.

There is very good (high and low) combustion air into the mechanical room, and it is not a direct access into the master bedroom or the tub/shower room. But it is a direct access into the master toilet room. And... there's a large pet door in the mechanical room/toilet room door.

Would you say anything?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. (Thomas Edison)

Default Re: gas appliances off bathroom

Your description doesn't match what the code requires/restricts/allows for combustion air for the water heater.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Your description doesn't match what the code requires/restricts/allows for combustion air for the water heater.
    I wasn't clear on the combustion air. There are two large combustion air vents from the roof. One has a metal duct to withing 12 inches of the floor, the other has a duct/vent in the ceiling. Combustion air is often an issue in my area, so this was way above average for here.

What throws me is the pet door in the mechanical room door. Nothing in this small room except a boiler (and in-floor heating manifold), water heater, and electrical panel. My first thought was a previous owner put a littler box in the mechanical room. But if so, they had a helluva cat since it's a German shepherd size door.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy West View Post
    I inspected the most custom home I've ever seen. Handrails were 'rattlesnakes' with 'talon' supports. Bone and twisted juniper pulls and handles. Fiber optic lighting including accurate stars/constellations in ceilings. I imagine inspectors in larger cities see more custom homes, but this home was a treat to inspect.

Here's my question. From the master bedroom you go into the master bathroom- doorway but no door. From there you go into the master toilet room- typical interior solid core door. From there you go into a mechanical room with a gas boiler and water heater. Again typical interior solid core door- no self closers or weatherstripping.

There is very good (high and low) combustion air into the mechanical room, and it is not a direct access into the master bedroom or the tub/shower room. But it is a direct access into the master toilet room. And... there's a large pet door in the mechanical room/toilet room door.

Would you say anything?
    Yes, I would call it out. Not sure I follow 100% but it needs weather stripping at the least on the mechanical closet door. I take it combustion air comes from outdoors.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Unless it is direct vent, it is taking combustion air from inside ... unless the room is sealed off from the living space.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This is the code section which applies:

From the 2015 IRC:
    - Section G2406 (303) Appliance Location
    - - G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations.
    - - - Appliances shall not be located in sleeping rooms, bathrooms, toilet rooms, storage closets or surgical rooms, or in space that opens only into such rooms or spaces, except where the installation complies with one of the following:
    - - - - 1. The appliance is a direct-vent appliance installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer's instructions.
    - - - - 2. (not applicable to this discussion, did not type it out)
    - - - - 3. (not applicable to this discussion, did not type it out)
    - - - - 4. (not applicable to this discussion, did not type it out)
    - - - - 5. The appliance is installed in a room or space that opens only into a bedroom or bathroom, and such room or space is used no other purpose and is provided with a solid weather-stripped door equipped with an approved self-closing device. All combustion air shall be taken directly from the outdoors in accordance with Section 2407.6.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 10-02-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: format - format did not post correctly - I noticed it later
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thank you. I put in the report that the door should be self closing and have weatherstripping, which means of coursed the large pet door is not allowed.

From your description of the house, it was a cat door for an ocelot or a cheetah.

Hey, you were lucky the kitty litter was outa there.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca