Question Hanging Bulbs Code

Hi,

I was recently hired as a handyman for an art studio complex in New York City. I need to replace a broken florescent fixture, and they'd rather something that looks nicer but is still dirt cheap. I'm thinking of hanging a half dozen LED light bulbs from the ceiling. I've made lights like this several times before, but never in a context where I had to be concerned about staying up to code, so I'm concerned about code issues.

The result would look like this: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1x9zDP...t-b-Edison.jpg
    except with the chords running into an electrical box instead of a fixture base. And, um, also it'll probably be somewhat less stylish.

The sockets I'm using are UL and CSA listed (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-6...-000/202077685) and the chord is rated for the weight, but would it be considered a new, non-listed fixture if I rigged it up in this way?

Additionally, would I need to install a new electrical box for each hanging light, or would I be able to wire them all into the existing one? Thanks!

Stuart

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hanging Bulbs Code

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart S View Post
    ... but would it be considered a new, non-listed fixture if I rigged it up in this way?
    Yes. The fixture you are describing making would need to be listed (not practical dollar-wise for you to list a one-off fixture).

Making individual fixtures would be the same - it would need to be listed (still expensive when only spread out over a few fixtures).

If you bought listed hanging fixtures, then you could have new electrical installed by a licensed electrical contractor as I suspect that New York state licensing laws likely require such for any extension or revision of electrical systems - hopefully a New York state inspector will provide that information.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How would you make the multiple connections in the box? Too many wire nuts for a standards size junction box.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    How would you make the multiple connections in the box? Too many wire nuts for a standards size junction box.
    The key would be to start with using the proper cord - typically round pulldown light fixture cord - which would be 18-2, and with 10 fixtures shown hanging down in that photo, that would be (10) 18 AWG in a wirenut, which is possible, and if one needed to, separate into groups of 5 (but that doubles the number of wire nuts).The first problem that presents is that those sockets are not designed, rated, or listed, for use on that cord.The second problem would be the necessary strain relief required at the canopy (or box cover) to take the weight of each hanging fixture. Not done properly and it is not any good.If fixture wire is not used, then the minimum wire size would be 14 AWG, and that takes up a lot more space than 18 AWG fixture wire and uses more wire nuts/larger wire nuts too.Those sockets are made to be on open conductors strung horizontally (festoon lighting) from one support to the next support, not hung vertically.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com